Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Long Long Day

I spent today after remnants of colonies, mostly at the BS, wasted a lot of time out there. I didn't return the Corvallis male yet. The woman who had requested help with the kittens at Crystal Lake and the mother, has not returned my call about continued feeding of this male. I'm sure she will feed him, but I need to know that and am surprised she has not called back. Maybe she's out of cell minutes or something. I"m up in the air, over what to do with him now, and kicking myself for ever getting involved in that.

I also went to the Millersburg C&G, to trap that female. They'd called about ten days ago, said another torti had showed, unfixed, and had kittens and they wanted the kittens gone and I'd blown up at them. But I did go out and trap that torti, and netted one of the kittens, to see how old they are. They are about four weeks. I saw only two, one other besides the one in the trap with his mother. He'll go back there tomorrow night, with her, because I don't want the other one or others if there are more than two, spending two nights without her at that age. But for now the colony is contained, until the kittens get bigger, that is.

Then I ended up late at the Millersburg Country colony, and saw four more unfixed cats. I drop trapped one of them and waited until after 11:00 p.m. hoping one of the others would wander under the drop trap for a snack but without that luck. So I only have three cats to take up tomorrow, the female from Millersburg C&G, the male from Millersburg County and another male from Heatherdale. These were hard fought cats to get. Remnants in big colonies always are.

Two of the now fixed Front Street Felines, dozing in today's sun. I stopped by there hoping to drop off a carrier to the woman, so she could put the final unfixed adult, a female with three kittens, in it to be fixed tomorrow. However, she had a swollen eye and said she didn't feel well and couldn't do it.
Front Street Felines Fixed Torti's.Front Street Felines fixed torti, arches her back, as she rises from a nap in the sun.
Checking cats for eartips at the BS. This orange tabby on white has one, thankfully. There are lots of cats out there who look just like this one.
I don't know this gray and white, but I believe it to be a cat already fixed by the colony caretaker. She did not get many of the cats she got fixed eartipped, which can make things "interesting", especially when so many look alike. I will print this photo and show it to her and ask her if this cat is fixed.
I believe this to be the one remaining unfixed female. Again, I'm not sure, because so many look alike and because the colony caretaker got some fixed before I came on the scene, without getting them eartipped.
I stopped by the HTN colony also today. I had a third kitten from the back barn at BS, a little girl, and the HTN man agreed to foster her with Forgetmenot, the longhair black mother, allegedly spayed March 15, who then, mid April, up and had kittens, despite her right eartip. Guess they missed her up in Tigard, where I had taken her to be fixed. Her four boys, including Bootleg, above, are now two months old and two pounds. I am hoping the vet clinic will neuter all four for free, along with spaying their mother, because these are kittens who never should have been born, had everything gone as planned on March 15, when their mother was supposed to have been spayed. They're very cute playful boys! And now they have an adopted sister from the BS.
Mowgli, another of Forgetmenot's boys.
Dynamo, another of Forgetmenot's boys.

2 comments:

  1. The work you do is amazing. Think of the lives you have saved :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy is right.

    Congratulations, Strayer, on all the cats you caught, including the difficult-to-trap ones. Oh, those kittens are adorable!

    ReplyDelete

Trip to Beach

 My Lebanon friend who gets so carsick, said she was going to the coast yesterday, did I want to go too. Of course I did.  She has to drive ...