Shooting off fireworks seems the only way some people know to be patriotic. Not volunteering to improve your community, nothing like that. Or even joining the military. Noise, lots of it, maybe burning down a house or two in the process. Ha! I do know people need to cut loose sometimes, let it all hang out. Yeah, I'm old and that was a saying back when I was a kid. Let it all hang out. One time my boyfriend of the time and I were talking about the excess at the university football tailgating parties. I'd been going through them that year to get cans and bottles, to help pay vet bills, and I just couldn't believe what I was seeing. John said its because people are so locked up in boring jobs, if they can cut loose a few weekends a year with their buddies tailgating, they can get by the rest of the time. I thought, that makes sense.
I go out in my driveway to watch completely illegal firework displays on all sides. This years show included a lit Japanese lantern, ball of fire, passing over the house. Windy night too. Pyromaniacs out and about tonight galore. I gave up watching after awhile. I got bored. It was windy. Lately watching anything makes me bored. Fireworks are all similar. If their loudness didn't scream "look at me" would I even bother to look, I think to myself. I strung a bunch of short clips I took outside this evening for this video. It may bore you.

The same people vote--- That's why we gotta make sure everyone else does.
ReplyDeleteNo kidding.
DeleteI no longer bother watching fireworks I can see from home. I've seen enough and there is nothing new.
ReplyDeleteNothing new. Last night in particular it seems like especially the Jackson street shoot offs were so the same. Hundreds upon hundreds, maybe thousands upon thousands, each of those shooting off households spent on that. Like burning money.
DeleteI enjoy fireworks for about five minutes, then it just seems like they shoot off the same thing over and over.
ReplyDeleteThat's about my same attention span for them.
DeleteOne of the reasons I went out to visit my brother is because he goes all out. Although, the fireworks he gets are legal where he is. I think. (I hope.) We went late and made lots of noise, but we were done before midnight.
ReplyDeleteA little fun is good for the soul.
DeleteHmm.. that's an interesting way of putting it. I never really thought of it like that. I am all good with fireworks on the 4th.. but on the 7th and the 11th and the week before the 4th.. come on!
ReplyDeleteI think there were fewer this year than last year even, in the close vicinity. The people who usually shoot off illegals on the street right behind me that often go off almost over my place, only shot off a couple. (at least that I heard. After I go to bed, I don't hear them) The block away the other direction people put on quite the show, while the man who shoots to one side, maybe half block away, his show was fairly decent too.
DeleteI am not a fan of fireworks, and even here on Canada Day, July 1st, there are these "celebrations". I cannot stand it! LOL! I don't like the noise, and quite honestly I wish people would find a more constructive way to celebrate! The noise scares wildlife and pets....and even some humans! It is entirely unnecessary, in my opinion.
ReplyDeleteI don't enjoy noise either, not usually. I can't bear to be around constant talker people even. It starts to be like mosquitos buzzing around my head and I have a terrible urge to just run from them to get away from it. However I do enjoy a good rock concert, at least I used to, before the blankee phase started at concerts.
Delete