This is one place I'd like to be, very soon, may my knee allow.
I've reduced myself to messaging everyone I know to see if they are interested in going up to the lake. (them driving). No luck so far.
This is from google maps with a little red arrow pointed at the rapids on the Middle Fork that drains into Foster Reservoir from Green Peter Reservoir. That arrow marks where I can go no further. That was where I stopped, described in a few posts back, and rode the dam water release back towards Foster for awhile, with the debris field.
Foster reservoir is down on the left and Green Peter dam and reservoir is up in the right hand corner.
Here's where the rapids stop me in a hard shell kayak when I go up the S. Santiam, from Foster. It's very cool spot to be stopped, with a sandy beach and a deep pool that's great for swimming.
![]() |
| The red arrow is a bit small and hard to see |
![]() |
| Here's a close up view of rapids corner and that lovely beach. I sometimes go up to the second beach, just wading since its shallow and rocky. |
That corner is the perfect place to sit for hours, take a break and go swimming, eat lunch, watch birds, whatever, take a book and a towel, lay out, sleep.



Maybe you should have been a coastal person, although I'm sure some people prefer lakes and fresh water.
ReplyDeleteI was born on the Oregon coast, but the coast's waters are not warm. In fact, they're freezing, and the usual coastal weather where I grew up is rain, wind, fog, overcast.
DeleteI hope one of your friends is able to help you out.
ReplyDeleteMe too, or I'll just tough it out, stop every half hour when driving, or even every twenty minutes. I checked the bus route, the link bus, that goes from Albany to Sweet Home, but it is over a 3 hour marathon, then you still have to walk a ways. To get somewhere I can drive in 35 minutes.
DeleteI did just find someone, a cat trapper friend from Salem and her adventure loving daughter. We're planning a trip to Waldo soon. I can't wait.
DeleteI was going to suggest an Uber or such, but probably way too expensive. I hope one of your friends can help you out.
ReplyDeleteYes, way out of my price range.
DeleteSounds like a lovely time.. hope you find someone to join you.
ReplyDeleteI haven't been able to drive, due to my bad knee. That's why I've been searching for anyone willing to go, who could drive.
DeleteSounds lovely. I hope you can find someone to go with you!
ReplyDelete