Saturday, September 07, 2024

The Gills Landing Colony Saga

 I'd like to say I'm done with that large colony that the city of Lebanon doesn't want anyone to feed anymore, after the cats have been fed there for years.   Most resulted, if not all, from dumped tame unfixed pets.

Torti was once tame.  Creative name, eh?  Not so much.

A classic torti, who has a torti teenage daughter--Tortilini.  Both were among the first six fixed from there, taken up to the FCCO by the woman who first got involved.

Torti was lactating at spay.   A few days ago she brought her kittens across the railroad tressle to the RV park.  She'd had them hidden over there.

Four beautiful little things.   

But then there were big fights in the woods two nights in a row, with the skunks over something.   After the second night fights, the tenant caretaker said they didn't see one of the orange kittens anymore and I told her to catch other three then, and their mom--Torti, who is tame to them.

So they grabbed the kittens, put them in a carrier, then picked up Torti and put her in.  They're in my bathroom.  Yesterday morning however, they said they heard mewing in the brush, like a little teeny mew, from a young kitten.

I was mortified to think that little orange kitten wasn't really dead and now on his own there.  The other three are barely a pound in weight, so these are not older kittens.

A lady in Lebanon took four kittens including River, the only one of the three Waterloo kittens not yet fixed, over to be fixed at the private clinic.  I picked them up about 2:30 and drove them back to her in Lebanon.   She finds them homes once fixed.  Afterwards I went over to the RV park to look for that little kitten.  Instead my sandals again scooped up a bee who stung me on the bottom of my foot.  The feeder lady got me some baking soda with a little water to make it paste and I put it on the bottom of my foot and the sting went away quickly.

I went on home bummed out I didn't find the kitten.   We'd blamed the skunks for killing it.  Well I didn't, but I was told the skunks killed it.

I finished another book I was reading and was surprised to hear a downpour going on outside.  I opened the garage door to spectacular thundering and lightning flashes.  Just after that, I got a call.  It was the RV park colony caretaker.

She was ecstatic.  They'd gone out to watch the sky with the storm and glanced towards the trestle and saw a tiny orange blob running full out towards them---the missing kitten.   He raced right up to them, crying but also happy to have found someone to help him.   They brought him over and he rejoined his mom and siblings.  He is a dear thing.  His black sister was overjoyed to see him.  Now all four, the gray sister and his orange brother, all race around playing in the bathroom.

Been trying to find a rescue to take them.   No luck so far. 

That's 16 cats out of that colony now.  7 have gone to barn homes through Silverton Cat Rescue.  Munchy had to be euthanized due to oral cancer.  Julie has three older kittens she's holding and I have Torti plus her four kittens.  That's In about three weeks time, little less than that.   

I'm supposed to try for two of the fixed girls over there, Chatty and Winnie, today and tomorrow, because Silverton Cat Rescue barn cat team has a barn home waiting.  That will make 18 out of there.   Meanwhile, a teenager was dumped there last Saturday.  18 out of there, another one dumped there.   

I got some cancellation appointments for Monday at the Salem clinic, so 8 more can be fixed.  There are three adult females there who need fixed but one allegedly just had kittens off somewhere.  There are still 3 males who need fixed and now the teenager.

Mama Torti and her three kittens

And here is Thunder on my lap last night, the little boy who ran through a thunder storm to get help.


Thunder missed his mommy so much, out there on his own two days.  He's happy to be safe!





10 comments:

  1. The city should be paying you for helping them with their problem. They won't, but they should.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they should be! Also for the hundreds of cats helped dumped in the county park, over the years, I've gotten fixed, into rescues, shelters.

      Delete
  2. I was so sad to hear about a tiny kitten out there on its on. Glad the story had a happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad that the missing kitten has been found - and rejoined his family. So very glad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was so good to get the mother and her four kittens, eventually all together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's Very nice. They'll be leaving me soon, going to Portland, but in the meantime, I love playing with them.

      Delete
  5. So happy that all of the kittens and mom are together for now. It's not going to happen, but wouldn't it be nice if there was an official place that people could take/dump their cats so they could be fixed. Even if they were then put back into colonies that are fed, the condition would be under control faster than imagined and a big money savings in the end. Of course, stray cats are never going to be at the top of the list when they are dividing up public funds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My shoulders creep up toward my ears upon reading how animals get dumped. Grrr... Thunder is a great name! Thanks for sharing video of this joyful reunion. And I agree with Liz. ~shakes head~ Take care, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thrilled that the last kitten was found alive up there. How scared he must have been, alone for a night, then in that thunderstorm.

      Delete

The Empty House

 Ah, I'm lying.  House is not empty.  Just empty of extra cats. I drove the Gills Landing family, Torti and her Kittens, to Portland Fri...