Friday, June 30, 2023

The Burned Side of Waldo

 I didn't know what to expect at Waldo Lake after last year's Cedar Creek wildfire.   The fire burned to the west and north of Waldo, almost to Oakridge.   I didn't go up to Waldo Lake as I usually do in late August because of the fire burning, although at first the campgrounds on the east side of the lake remained open.

The north end of Waldo Lake burned a long time ago but has never recovered and remained a stick forest.  I don't know if the fire last year went through it again or not.  I didn't paddle up that far.  

I did paddle to the west side of the lake to look at what had happened near the shore as a result of last summers wildfire.   Here are some photos.  I was fascinated by what I referred to in my mind as "the brave trees".


Some of the trees died in what seemed artistic twisted beauty.

Some burned, some places were spared.


These were charred submerged pine cones.







I thought this scene was sad.  One tree charred and standing, one leaning and one down.


There was still a charred smell to the air, almost a year later.

Today I need to drive all the way to Portland and return a transfer cage.   The female cat from the Shedd colony, who had two kittens in the caregiver's daughter's car, in a live trap, on the way to be fixed, stayed in Portland until her kittens weaned.   She was sent home, with the caregivers daughter, in a transfer cage, instead of in a carrier she took up to bring her home in.  This created a hassle, as she brought the transfer cage here after returning the cat to her mom's colony.  I'd have to get it back to Portland.   Today's the day it has to be done.   

9 comments:

  1. Heartbreaking. And sadly familiar.
    Good luck with your drive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've had your share there too of wildfires. Made it home, after a long day on the road.

      Delete
  2. Sorry you're stuck driving to Portland. May traffic be in your favor. It's wild to see the forests a year after they burned. Hopefully things will heal eventually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a mess, going and coming, just got home in fact, at 4 when I left at about 10:30 to 11. About six hours, much of that time spent in bumper to bumper. On the way home, I took mostly backroads down to Salem, then got on the freeway which immediately clogged to a near halt so I got off again and took backroads all the way home.

      Delete
  3. Wild fires anywhere can be tragic but it is all the worse when forests with little fire resistance and recovery strengths are destroyed. From what I can see, wildfires are relatively new to many of your forests and that it will take them decades or longer to somewhat recover is an extra tragedy. Dirty run off water, land erosion, animal habitat loss can be added to the mix.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had a couple of fire in my area, last year. And now it closed, because of land is unstabled.
    Coffee is on, and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fires are devastating, even when caused by nature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the Cedar Creek Fire, the name for the fire that burned the west side of Waldo, was lightning caused, if I remember correctly. There's a lot of nervousness with the fourth tomorrow predicted to be record setting hot and fireworks going off. Hopefully people will use their brains to make sure they don't start fires.

      Delete
  6. People using brains. Hah! Persons, individually, but herd mentality is another thing. Stay safe, my dear.

    ReplyDelete

Sunday

 Sunday I was so slow getting going after the late night Saturday. But after cleaning litterboxes, giving KMR to kittens, feeding the ferals...