Thursday, June 01, 2023

More Cats to Portland

 I think I warned awhile back the next ten days would be busy.

They have been.

I took Muffy to the coast clinic the 27th.   That was Saturday, right?

The next day I managed to take equipment over to the Sweet Home colony, but that was all.  The rest of the day I slept.

By evening I was recovered from the long day at the coast clinic.

Tuesday I went up to Sweet HOme in the morning, to collect cats they'd caught, for Wednesday's appointments they had secured at the FCCO.  By then they had trapped 8 I think.  They had 12 appointments in all Wednesday but weren't so sure they'd catch 12.  They caught ten in all by evening.   I'd loaned them not only the drop trap but my remote control that fits on a live trap, so they could selectively trap.   Many there are already fixed.  They'd used that remote control to catch almost all the cats.   It's really a huge help.  That way they're not constantly catching and releasing already fixed cats.

By evening they'd caught two more. Ten more in all, for Wednesday.   I picked up those two, plus the Sweet HOme female who had been dumped at an already fixed colony.  The lady there and her husband quickly caught her and her seven kittens.   I loaned them a trap and also a nice big holding cage, so they could hold and tame the kittens fast.

I left about 6:30 a.m. yesterday  morning after changing trap papers for the drive to the clinic.  The drive up was not that fun.  I hit bumper to bumper traffic south of the rest area which is south of wilsonville on the interstate.   Stop and go traffic then for miles upon miles.   I didn't think I'd ever make it to the clinic but I did and I wasn't that late either, so all good.

The FCCO's check in is fast and efficient, like none other.   After that, I went and had a very pleasant breakfast in King City, just beyond Tigard.   It was a diner type place, a place that doesn't care if a person lingers over coffee for awhile after eating.

I had nothing to do all day.   I walked a lot, around air conditioned stores.  It wasn't hot out but it was humid.  So I got my exercise in.  I picked up the cats at 4:00 at their clinic.  Again, the FCCO's check out is just as fast and efficient.  I headed south, but hit the bumper to bumper traffic that slowed me for miles again.  I pulled in when I got to the rest area, to use the restroom and talked to my Idaho brother on the phone and also fed all the cats wet food, in their traps, so they'd recuperate faster.  Besides, I knew they were likely very hungry.   I then went on my merry way, driving all the way then to Sweet HOme and delivered all 11 cats back to their people.  Both places had the means to recuperate them at home.   Even though this made the day and drive time longer, it was worth it.   No cats to unload and recuperate at home!   This made my life easier yet!   

I could get used to just loaning out equipment, picking up the cats after the people trap themselves, and transporting.   Sure has been nice doing it that way sometimes.  I really enjoy meeting people like the two sets of caretakers involved this time around.  They love their cats and take good care of them.

Here's the sad part though.  Buffy has been failing for some time.  Kidney failure.  Been keeping her alive with sub cu fluids.   Last night I came home, finally getting home at 8:00 p.m., worn out,  to find her laid out on the floor.   Oh boy.  I knew it was her end time and I should have let her go last night.  Instead I got her in the bathroom on a pile of soft blankees and a heating pad, gave her fluids and was shocked she was still alive this morning.  But she passed before noon today.

Buffy remained feral to her end.  I admired her for her tough nature.  She took nothing off nobody.   

Her brother Mops passed away last summer suddenly, a heart event.  Her best friend Sam won't be long to follow, I'm afraid.  At 18, he's frail and also has failing kidneys and sleeps most of his days now.

Buffy had a great long life here.  I loved her.   Buffy LOVED catnip, chicken and naps.  Boy did she ever know how and where to take the best most comfy naps.   She NEVER passed up catnip either, snorting it, sniffing it, eating it, rolling in it, that was her thing.  Along with the naps and the chicken.

Catnip heaven.

Catnip Daze


Feral to the End.  Not so fond of me.


Queen of Naps in odd places

RIP tough girl Buffy.  Knew what she wanted, got what she wanted.  No apologies for what she wanted either.  Catnip, chicken and naps.  Shady's the only one left alive from Buffy's colony of the ones I took in there.  120 some plus cats in number, by the end, I caught, to be fixed, many I rehomed or tried to anyhow.   Shady's really old too, deaf now on top of it, but I love her also.

I went kayaking for a couple hours today.   I went with a friend of the neighbors and one of her friends, a young guy (40 something, he thinks he's old at which I scoffed).    The neighbors friend is a hoot and goes to coffee with him, because she says he's lonely after breaking up with his girlfriend.  He was raised in Ghana, she tells me, but mostly lived in England.  He was nervous in her kayak, being his first time out.   And didn't go far from the boat ramp.  As he paddled around, practising, she was yakking it up with the fisherman, mostly older outdoorsy men, coming in from fishing in the morning.   I told her we're going to get a reputation, you know, hanging around the boat ramp, talking to fisher guys.  Good, she says.  She's a character.

Later on found out the Ghana guy was nervous cause he doesn't how to swim.  I told him you gotta learn how to swim, then you'll just automatically kayak because you won't be scared to fall out.   She says she'll take him to the Y to sign him up to learn how to swim.  He'll learn fast.  He's young, even if he doesn't think so.

I left them there at the lake, came home.  That's because I wanted to fall asleep mainly.  I'm tired.  Can't really do that on a kayak.  Not stable enough for napping.  My raft was.  I'm going to fix that raft.  I like napping on the water.  I'm like Buffy that way.

15 comments:

  1. I am sorry about Buffy- but very grateful that you gave her a good life. A good long life.
    I am not surprised you are tired - I was after just reading all that you had done. Hooray for not having to do it all this time though. Long may that continue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buffy had a great life. None of us escape old age. Sometimes I forget my age and do quite a lot too much, but I just sleep it off and usually that works out.

      Delete
  2. What a good life you gave Buffy to the very end.
    I'm glad you were able to kayak a little. Maybe the "old" youngster will want to go again and you could have another lake buddy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He doesn't have his own kayak. I'll wait til he learns how to swim though. I told him and her, if one of them overturned and drowned, I was going to paddle off and pretend I didn't know them.

      Delete
  3. I don't know how to respond but with a virtual hug. :) Be well, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry about Buffy. Your cats are all of an age, aren't they? They have a good life with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they're mostly quite elderly kitties. They do have great lives here.

      Delete
  5. I'm very sorry that Buffy died, and I'm very respectful of your love, care, and admiration for her. I don't if I could love a feral cat because I so need that give-and-take, that feeling of seeing and being seen, and of loving and being loved, that my beloved family gives to me.

    What a bummer of a drive to Portland!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was no fun, that drive. Then the weekend after, a week ago, I started feeling off and by Monday, was sure I had a cold or allergies. But by middle of week, I knew I'd caught a cold that I'm struggling with now.

      Delete
    2. "I knew I'd caught a cold that I'm struggling with now."

      I have one too. Worse yet, Peggy is leaving for her annual vacation with two friends, and she's coming down with it also.

      It's a nasty one. I initially thought it was an allergy attack from hell due to the super high pollen counts, but I finally concluded that it's a cold.

      Delete
    3. That's what I thought at first too, that it was bad bad allergies since the pollen count from hell is going on......seems like its going around but it was terrible timing for me and also for you and for Peggy especially.

      Delete
    4. On the plus side, this is my forth day, and I am feeling well enough to get some shopping done in preparation for Peggy's trip. I mention this to give you encouragement if you're still i in the throes of it. Ours by the way, surely came from an overnight visitor from up your way, so perhaps a lot of people in the Albany/Corvallis area have it.

      Delete
    5. Have heard of a lot of people with it now. A friend in WA came down with it too. Last night, I didn't need an antihistamine to sleep without slurping, so that's progress.

      Delete

Five Cats Fixed Yesterday

 Two Liliths from two towns were fixed yesterday.  Coincidence?  I guess. This Lilith is from Lebanon and was left behind by her people at a...