Monday, June 12, 2023

Five Fixed Today

 I took up five cats today to be fixed.   These are the last of my ten spots at the Salem clinic for this month.  Time off time.  I may have cancelled my Idaho trip, but doesn't mean I'm not going somewhere part of the time allotted.   

In the news today, sections of the road I was going to drive, to Idaho, highway 20, in eastern Oregon, are closed due to multiple landslides and will be closed for a few days.  Wow.   I guess my trip really wasn't meant to be.

With this new $50 per cat fee, people are jockeying and begging for the fee to be paid by others.  However, this morning, before leaving for the clinic, I find a person online telling people she has an open spay reservation and that I would be paying the $50 for anyone whose cat filled that spot.  WTF.   

She has a rescue herself and I'd told her a few days ago, out of feeling sorry for her, that I'd pay for cats she trapped, and took in, for her spots this month only.  She'd told me about needing to fix the rest in a city park.   Well, to see her giving away my nonprofit's money, like it comes easy, like its hers, wasn't easy.   I do wish I had the fundraising skills to pay for any and all cats needing fixed.   I don't.   The people who do have those skills are working at the huge shelters and raising funds to pay their own and upper managements massive salaries.

Anyhow...five up being fixed.  I do what I can do and can't worry about what I can't do.

Bob is up being fixed today.  She's a girl with a bobtail.

Nono is also being spayed today.
Both Bob and Nono are from the Sweet Home colony and the last regulars to the colony who were not yet fixed.

Cali from Lebanon

The Waterloo lady who feeds Fathead, fixed last week, works in Lebanon and has been feeding a trio of sisters.  She trapped the first one yesterday who is being fixed today.  Cali--a muted torti teenager.
Booger is a garage cat from Brownsville.    Oatmeal, also a garage cat from same garage, was fixed last week.

Lastly comes Kirby from orginally I think Albany, where she was found by Doordashers inside a road barrier or divider.  They'd stopped at a light and heard screaming.   Finally one got out, while the other went on to the deliver the food and found poor Kirby in that road divider, or whatever it was.   She was a very lucky girl.   Now the pair have split, and Kirby ends up in Kings Valley, with a relative of one of the men.  Residing there, in a rural setting with barn and other cats, some known, some not roaming in and out, she needed fixed badly and so today, Kirby is being fixed too.

Kirby, currently of Kings Valley

So those are today's five cats and I'm done for the month, happy to say.   Have a great week!

8 comments:

  1. It takes all kinds, but it irritates me that woman was giving away your spots.
    On a more positive note, I look forward to seeing what you are going to do with your vacation time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, she should have checked with me. But oh well. Not the end of the world.

      Delete
  2. Just think that that open spot that you paid for got a cat that needed to be fixed fixed. Not ideal, but then you won't be giving that person any help again, will you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm not worried over it. HCC just has very limited funds. I can't pay for them all.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for all you do - and hiss and spit at those who try and profit from your work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hugs, my dear. I appreciate your tolerant and enduring nature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, sometimes I'm not so tolerant in my head though.

      Delete

Sunday

 Sunday I was so slow getting going after the late night Saturday. But after cleaning litterboxes, giving KMR to kittens, feeding the ferals...