Saturday, November 28, 2020

Too Much

 I didn't do anything Thanksgiving Day, but two friends brought me some of their Thanksgiving dinners.

No, they did not come inside, and we stayed apart in the handing off.  It was supremely nice of them to take time from their own dinners with family to deliver something here.  One friend delivered food to at least five people who were otherwise alone, me included.  Now that's something else to do for others!

I ate too much and didn't even make my broccoli and rice casserole that I intended to make.

However, yesterday, with leftovers, I tried a recipe I saw on facebook for leftover mashed potatoes.  Mashed potatoes, mixed with shredded cheddar cheese, rolled into balls, doused in egg, then rolled in bread crumbs and fried.  They were unbelievably delicious, so decilious I looked this way and that while eating them, filled with sinful guilt over the indulgence.  Ha ha ha. Don't believe a word of it.


I went out to my garage this morning.  One of the neighbors cats was peering intently under a plastic grocery basket.  I lifted the edge and underneath was a small bird.  The bird seemed to be in shock and did not struggle as I lifted it from harm's way.  I took him or her to my bathroom and put down in front of the vent that at the time, was spewing warmth.  I cleaned a cat carrier, filled it with wadded paper towels and a little bowl with bird seed, then went back into the bathroom and put the little bird in the carrier.  I didn't think he'd been hurt by the neighbors cat but wanted to be sure.  It wasn't long before the bird moved to the edge of the bowl with seed.  He seemed undamaged.

I had locked two of the neighbor cats in my garage by then.   Finally I took the little bird out in the carrier and set the carrier atop the yard debris bin and opened the door.  A few minutes later, off he flew.


Good luck little bird and curses to the free roaming neighbor cats, eh?   

However, before I go blaming them, I've had birds fly into my garage before, through the open door and this could have been what happened this time around also.




11 comments:

  1. WELL done. Sadly they often die of shock so I am glad that your little rescue took to the air.
    Your potato balls look wonderful. I am sure that they would go down very well here too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and I don't know if heat averts shock in birds too, like it can help in humans, but that's why I put him in front of the heat vent for an hour. I don't know much about birds. Yes the potato balls were incredible.

      Delete
  2. I know a lady and will blog about it hopeful on Sunday, she cooked up for some older people. Hubby and I did up cornish game hen for Thanksgiving and we're having lamb this evening.
    Stay Safe and Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This lady and her partner are very good people, who have invited me to their home before, for dinners, like thanksgiving, when I have nowhere to go. Their home is so beautiful, out in the hills with views of the valley and mountains to the west from their deck and sitting room.

      Delete
  3. That looks like a little house finch that you rescued. The potatoes look so good. I am used to making potato cakes with leftover mashed potatoes by adding egg and onion and frying, but cheese and bread crumbs would elevate them to a whole new level.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a lot of house and purple finches using my feeder. I can't handle potato cakes, too heavy, but these little things are small and light by comparison. I whipped the potatoes with the shredded cheddar so they were very light in weight. One potato pancake can keep me going all day. I do like to make some, and carry them to eat cold, if going hiking, with a dip of some kind.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous11:26 PM

    I can see you! I can see your bulging belly, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those cheesy balls sound awesome. And that bird is just staring right at you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, little bird wasn't afraid of me at all, would hop on my finger too.

      Delete
  6. I'm glad you enjoyed some good food and true human kindness. ~hugs~ Well done on another successful rescue!

    ReplyDelete

FCCO Trip on Half Decent Day

 Yesterday, early morning, I headed to FCCO with ten cats from the Scravel colony.   I don't get any records with the FCCO.  They are se...