Saturday, May 30, 2020

Yesterdays Kittens

Yesterday, I had kittens, lots of them.  17 to be exact.

At least I didn't have 20 kittens.  Three of the Holly guys ended up in Salem with a friend who is very good with bottle babes and also volunteers with Meow Village.  The buff kitten near death when I got him home was the first.  He's done fine by now, and his name is Alfie.

Now she has Bruce and Carl too.


The other 17?  9 from one situation, 8 from another?   Well yesterday, after three nights of minimal sleep,. I took them all to Portland, to Karen, who then took off with them to OHS (Oregon Humane).  All 17 were accepted and went off with fosters.  They are too little to be fixed yet, way too little.  Most were only about four to five weeks old.

It will be strange to not have kittens hanging off my pajama bottoms in the bathroom, six or eight of them.  At least I stopped myself before adding KMR to my coffee instead of milk.  One can get a little dazed bottle feeding so many kittens.   I'll miss the little brats.  All 20 of them!

I can't believe we pulled that off, getting the 20 in the first place, through all the confusion of where they were at and meeting people, caring for that many here for a few days, then getting all into good places where they'll get proper care, be fixed, get nice homes for themselves.

This is the 17 when I handed them off to Karen, in Portland, after driving up to the sounds of kitten screams, cries and the smells of kittens pooping.  They sure are good at pooping.  And at screaming for attention.  Hats off to cat moms everywhere.

Before driving the kittens to Portland, I dropped off seven cats in Salem to be fixed.  Four of them were moms to the kittens, two from one place, two from another.   That was awkward.  And sad.  And probably not fair to the kittens or the moms.

There may be more kittens where the 12 came from.   I went up there to catch three cats.  I only had three reservations for that one.   I saw at least ten cats and caught three, two of them lactating moms and the other a boy.  I wish I could get more spay neuter reservations but right now those are tough to find.

I haven't got a good photo yet of Brewers, the gray tabby boy,  but I'll add it when I do.  Here are the two moms from there--Sandy, the brown tabby girl, and Camille, the calico.
Camille
Brewers, the gray tabby boy

Sandy
The other two girls, Thumbs and Catty, had ten kittens between them.  But their people kept two of them, so I had taken only 8 kittens there.  Thumbs and Catty were fixed yesterday too and will return home today.

Catty is gorgeous

Thumbs is very sweet
The last two cats fixed were from a fellow trapper who had two needing done she'd trapped somewhere and would soon be up for adoption, but they needed fixed first and its tough to get reservations.   She goes out and traps usually tame strays people are concerned about.

Big guy Snowden was fixed yesterday

So was young Imani, a girl
I'll finish off the post with....what else....kittens!


I was saying goodbye to them in Portland.  By then, they thought I was mom.

9 comments:

  1. Huge thanks. To you and to everyone who has given these cats/kittens a brighter future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:21 PM

    I'm sure the kitties will miss their 'Mom'. A job well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do miss them, but not the constant mess they'd make and the constant feeding. Getting a tad old for that.

      Delete
  3. Your such a caring person

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you still hearing those piercing mews in your sleep? What you do really matters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear them fondly now in my mind and have forgotten the exhaustion of it. How does that work?

      Delete
  5. Awww... You're amazing. Be well and rest up. :)

    ReplyDelete

Ten Extras

 I have ten extra cats in my garage. Nine are in traps, just brought over from the Scravel colony.    They are almost all orange tabbies, wi...