Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Ho Ho Ho

There are Christmas lights everywhere this year, seems like on every street. 

I like to see them, since color brightens up my brain.

Our strange winter continues.  We've had very little rain.

An inversion has held in stinky air pollution from somewhere off and on for weeks.  Sometimes the air outside smells like really strong laundry detergent and sometimes its a different dirtier smell.

Traffic has been very congested here, in what used to be rather a lazy small town.  Last night, trying to get back through Albany and home, after picking up cats in Salem that had been fixed, just wanting my bed, really, it was so congested, with bumper to bumper backups, and line ups that took three to four light cycles to get through that one intersection.  The price of too many people.

More and more people moving here mean more cats in trouble when people don't fix them.  What a constant tragedy that is not necessary.

I got involved in a new colony, might have mentioned, where a lady was feeding cats that she never got fixed despite owning a live trap.   She was under threat of $1000 fine from the city because the up and coming thinks he lives in Portland neighbor complained.   Anyhow, she called me, messaged me, etc, never did anything I suggested, and I, in the end, netted three kittens in a shed, who went to someone I am told, to tame.  I caught two who ended  up with a barn home near Seattle.  So that's five out of the colony.  That was Thursday and Friday last week.

  And this weekend I caught the rest.  Yup all the rest.  Every last one.  Nine more, including another kitten.

I had to return some.  First off, I am not an adoption group.  I wish people would leave me alone on that, on wanting me to take in their cats or stray cats or remove community cats.

 I took her back the big male Clay, last night, along with Dante, a black middle aged female, then also Shimmer and Silverado, both adult silver tabby boys, the kitten Sparkle, whom she's supposed to get to the guy fostering the other three and today I'll take back her adult female Tawny too.   She's going to hold them in some little room rather than turn them loose and face the fine for feeding. 

Silverado and Clay

Silverado and Shimmer

The last three teens are going to a friend of mine as barn cats.
Clay from the Albany colony was fixed yesterday

Tawny, mom of the four kittens, was fixed

Cricket, one of the teens, was also fixed

Dante, a middle aged female, was spayed yesterday

Shimmer, a silver tabby short hair boy also was fixed

Beautiful Silverado was also fixed.  He and Clay are such beautiful boys!

This is SoBe, a little boy fixed yesterday, one of the three my friend is hopefully taking today 
SoBe, a boy teen, another who a friend hopefully will take



Little Boy kitten Sparkle was fixed yesterday too

I took 15 cats in all to be fixed yesterday, to two clinics and from three locations.  Nine from the Albany colony, 3 from Sweet Home, 3 from Brownsville--three of those orange kittens I pulled out of a barn wall in Tangent some time ago.  The Brownsville lady took in all five to foster as bottle babes and somehow all five survived, which is something else again, to get five 10 day olds through to the age where they can be fixed.  One of them is now up with Meow Village.  But three of the girls got spayed yesterday.

The unbelievable thing is one of them, at three months of age and 3.1 lbs was in heat.  The vet underlined it on her paperwork.  It is hard to believe.

Snare, a little girl now from Brownsville, fixed yesterday

Stars, another orange female kitten, now from Brownsville, fixed yesterday

Stripes, yet another girl kitten fixed yesterday


The three fixed from Sweet Home included two massive boys and a girl.  Sailor, the Siamese mix boy, got tremendous help at Heartland, where I took him to be fixed.  He had a very extensive leg infection from a bite wound that they cleaned up plus they fixed his eyes.  He has the condition where the eyelashes rubbed on his cornea.  They flipped those off his eye.  Besides neutering him.  Hope he feels much better soon.  He's in the last photo, enjoying some R and R, fixed up in a cozy cage in my garage for a couple of days.  I returned the big gray and white boy Arnold, below, and gray tux Louise this morning.






8 comments:

  1. Wow.
    You did exceptionally well.
    Three months old and on heat? And at such a tiny weight? I am so glad you saved her. Having your first litter before you are six months old cannot be healthy. Or even safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baby in heat. It was rather shocking. We all tell people females can go into heat at four months of age. But at three months?

      Delete
  2. Wow! I'm horrified that a kitten went into heat at three months of age and 3.1 lbs. Yikes. Thank you so much for all these efforts. Sounds like Sailor in particular won the lottery thanks to you. ~hugs~ It makes me sad that uncooperative people expect so much while selfishly acting without a trace of common decency. Grrrr... As for traffic, I'm fortunate to pick and choose when I travel, avoiding the heaviest commuter hours. The holidays only make things worse, which is sad because a huge factor is stressed drivers becoming more hurried and aggressive. Best wishes to all these beauties, and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know--the hurried rushed drivers who are also multi tasking behind the wheel. They're scary and you know one's behind you when they pull up within a foot of your back bumper and you can see in your rear view mirror their eyes leaving my car, to look at something else, likely their phone.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous11:24 PM

    Feed the cats and be in danger of a fine. Her choice but at least they are fixed. I think I understand why people might think you can solve all aspects of cat problems. They don't think it through and perhaps are not terribly bright.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, if she'd only fixed those two girls, the nine kittens/teens would not have needed fixed and placed. If only.

      Delete
  4. It probably wouldn't make any difference, but do people realize that you have no money? You get no salary and that you have to beg/ask for help for all of these cats. I don't know if you go into that or not. That might help them be a little more empathetic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happily, in under a week's time, she's down to six cats, one allowed outside, the other five, including one kitten that won't be there long, to a utility room. I thought it was small but when I saw the four adults in there, I realized it was quite adequate for now, half the size of my bedroom. She bought a put together very small catio online, that her relatives will attach to the shed, and then those four will be fine and dandy and no doubt tame soon. So it's all good, in under a weeks time. I'm proud of that.

      Delete

Trip to Beach

 My Lebanon friend who gets so carsick, said she was going to the coast yesterday, did I want to go too. Of course I did.  She has to drive ...