Saturday, January 12, 2019

Cougars

Check out this post, which someone forwarded to me from a facebook page.  I had already delivered the two kittens, from the colony fixed last Monday, to their new caretaker.  I still have their mom or aunt, not sure which she is, here, in a cage, recuperating from her spay experience, which did not go normally.  She's fine.  And in my mind, when I saw this post, I thought of the kitten that went missing from Cheeky's colony. Cheeky's colony isn't that far from where this cougar posted about was allegedly seen. The kitten, a little black and white girl, sister of the darling orange and white boy I took to be fixed, had been there one morning for food and not the next.  She vanished just after Christmas. Never seen again.  After seeing that darling orange and white boy, I thought, if she looked anything like him, the bright white, oh my, like a neon sign for predators.  At that time however I figured eagle, hawk or owl.  Certainly I did not think cougar.  Now I'm thinking it may have been this cougar, on the move, taking anything easy.  Like a little kitten who thinks life is a joyous playground.


This location is extremely residential and bounded by I5, (the interstate), and Highway 20.  However, the cougar could have come down Spicer.  There are many fields along Spicer, some areas lined in trees.  The fields have sheep in them and I have heard no reports of livestock being taken.   I do think about the farm colony I feed not far from the location where this cougar allegedly was seen.  I say allegedly because you don't know if a person is just being dramatic or was drunk or high or just what.   Without proof, I take such sightings with a grain of salt but I also tuck them away in my brain, as a precaution, because I am out a lot at night.

I go out this afternoon to check out a new colony, off Knox Butte.  That lady mentions they have seen a cougar off and on, along the edge of the woods, there.  How far is that from the Home Depot cougar (alleged)?  Not that far.  I start thinking ok, its a travelling cougar and they all travel to some extent, the males much farther than the females, so maybe the Knox Butte cougar is the Home Depot cougar (alleged).   Then I think well, maybe the Home Depot cougar is really a big male getting a little off track in his pursuit of an in heat female (Knox Butte cougar).  Ha ha.  That's where an imaginative mind can take me.

Then I start searching out cougar sound video's on youtube, for the hell of it.
Here is a video, with only sound, of cougar calls, growls, hisses and whistles.


Here's one of a female in heat.

6 comments:

  1. Those are impressive, and unnerving sounds.
    The cougars also have to eat, but my soft-hearted self hopes that their prey meets a very quick end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would guess most of the time, however small game can sometimes be harder than larger, for a large predator. Anyhow, it is not a quick death when mother cougars are teaching young to hunt. In fact its really rather horrific. If people could understand, know, they'd keep their cats inside. They would not be so weak as to allow them out in areas where there are lots of predators. In Oregon, that's almost everywhere. Coyotes roam the cities and eagles soar overhead.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous2:43 AM

    Could be, or maybe not. Cats are very cruel and torture. That is why what you do with desexing is so good. It is no longer hormonal for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like the word cruel denotes deliberate thought out act, so I would they are instinctual predators. But, that's also why I keep mine contained, to the house, garage and yard. Cougars allegedly keep the deer populations healthy, while their ability to kill deer, which is their primary food source, is dependent on strength, speed and athletic ability. Therefore, young, old and sick deer get killed because the predator is going to seek the easiest prey and sick, old cougars cannot catch even a sick deer. A cougar's natural lifespan is about 8 years. I had a friend in the hills above Oakridge, had cats, and contained them with a high fence. Well, a cougar got over that fence, into her large field and killed and ate four cats, and he came back for more. By then she had them all in the garage. She said the cougar was literally slamming into the side of the garage trying to get them. She had only a .22 but slipped by him out the gate to the neighbors, whose dog had recently been torn up by a cougar but lived. Brandon came over and shot the cougar, who was feet from him in tall grass. Wildlife folk examined the cougar said he was over 10 and probably could no longer hunt deer. The next night Brandon's game cam caught another cougar walking by his property. This one much younger and they've had no trouble with the younger one so far attacking their pets.

      Delete
  3. The thought of a cougar is scary so be alert when you're out so I don't have to worry about you. We don't have sightings of cougars around here but coyotes are becoming more and more prevalent and causing problems for pets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cougars eat coyotes too and we sure have a lot of those around these parts. they seem to be everywhere. I don't like the thought of being watched by a cougar. It happened to me when hiking once, many years ago, gave me a terrible feeling on a corner in the trail. I decided I should not ignore the feeling. So I left the trail and went to the top of a hill, with a view of the trail. I sat there with my binoculars watching. Other people hiked by on that corner. Quite some time later a cougar emerged, very nonchalant. Guess he or she had been people watching.

      Delete

Trip to Beach

 My Lebanon friend who gets so carsick, said she was going to the coast yesterday, did I want to go too. Of course I did.  She has to drive ...