Sunday, August 12, 2018

One Day Misting

We had relief  from our strange extreme heat, although it was brief, yesterday, in the form of slight precipitation and clouds yesterday.

I don't know if the mist was even measurable but sure felt nice!

Today its back to the mid 80's, then more 90's.

The young woman who asked for help with the orange mom and her five kittens, who are now with Meow Village, also fed other strays.

She caught one of them yesterday, a big bodied boy, but light in body weight for his size.  Big Ben, I call him.  She also has by now caught his brother, whom I'll pick up today, to be fixed tomorrow.  Looks just like Ben, she told me but with short tale.  She calls him Bobbi.  She feeds one more she is trying to catch.  Haven't heard from her yet this morning to see if she had any luck last night.

Big Ben
Also caught another adult where I caught the Siamese kitten Tango, his mom and Siamese male Don Juan last week.  This cat is skinny and has hair loss, most likely from fleas.   He's already coughing up hairballs which could be part of the trouble.  But also, he's not been fed and likely because he's not fixed, has been driven away from any food scroungable by bigger boys.  He's suffered, that's for sure, and we shall see what the vet says.  I call him Ganji.

Ganji
This morning I went and netted three more adults at the N. Albany trailer.  The trailer is still full of kittens.  11 tame ones, 3 wild kittens on the outside and unfixed adults.  I got Mokey, a gray tux female, fixed from there last time.  She took 8 of the 11 kittens to Safehaven, for first shots and is now officially fostering them for Safehaven, but they have no room to take them in right now she says.

She has created a catio of her front deck and porch and had the three adults inside, but they're not tame really.  She  can pet them but she can't pick them up.  So, I brought in my trusty very old homemade fish net, and netted them.  The only tough one was Bubba the boy, who wedged himself under her TV stand with three kittens.  We had to remove the TV and various cords.  Then she tipped up the stand.  He ran out and I got him in my net, mid jump.   I then cover the cat with a towel, while the cat is in the netting, scruff the cat through the towel, and push them into a live trap through the back door.  Can be a much quicker way to get it done and in this case, that was the way to go.

There are still possibly three outside males to catch and the three wild kittens but we're getting there.  Hopefully soon Safehaven can take some of those kittens.  She is in HUGE relief mode to get this done.

All females now will be fixed from there as of tomorrow.  I hope.

Bubba, the gray and white boy

Kitt, the long hair tabby on white girl

Midnight, a black female I netted at the trailer.
I had a possum adventure too.  I had seen a little possum scuttle out of my garage, when the door was open one evening about ten days ago and was a little surprised.  I haven't seen a possum in the area for a long time.  Then two nights ago, I was outside playing with my cats, darkness encroaching, when Sam ran up the run to the tree perch.  He suddenly stopped, looked up and began switching his tail.  I looked up there then.  Atop the cat yard wire, atop some dead leaves, slept a young possum.

Later in the evening, I went out with a flashlight to see if he'd left the cat yard wire.  It'd a very odd place for a possum to be sleeping and hard to navigate from the fence too, without paws getting caught and legs going through.  Sure enough, the little thing was caught in the wire.  I freed him from underneath and tried to push him in the direction, towards the fence, with a towel.  I went to bed thinking he'd be gone by morning and he was.  But then, I found him in a cat house inside the cat yard.  He'd fallen through.


I finally found a possum lady, who has done rehab, in Stayton who would take this little guy, since I didn't know if he or she was injured in the fall.  I herded him into a trap, out in the cat yard, with my net.  I drove him to Stayton.  The woman who took him is very skilled with possums.

Did you know they don't get rabies and are immune to snake bites?  They eat slugs, snails, all kinds of destructive bugs, cockroaches, ticks and even rats if in their territory.

But then last night, coming out to my garage, door open again to cool it off in there, I startled two more juvenile possums, who scuttled out fast.  They'll be going to another location next week.  This is a very tightly packed neighborhood and I don't want possums falling into my cat yard or running into my garage.

Well I hopefully will catch one more cat to fill out the seven reservations I have for tomorrow at some point today.  At some point I need to drive to Sweet Home to pick up Bobbi, Ben's bro, already caught.  Hopefully I hear soon on whether they caught the other one yet or not.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:40 PM

    I wonder if your possums are at all like ours. I might check that later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You rescue not only cats, but possums, too. :) Also, I am very impressed that you catch cats with nets. I can't imagine doing that even with my cats who are very tame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be a little wild, for sure, but I have to net cats here all the time, to just flea treat them and sometimes to shave them, since some of the long hairs here mat. Only one now, thank goodness--Angel. Anyhow, yes, a net can control even a feral cat securely and safely, for both the cat and for me. Catching them in a net, when they are panicked, is fairly easy. Outside, being sneaky, its not easy but it can be done.

      Delete
  3. Wow! So many lives touched by your kindness, it's amazing. Great photo of the possum! I didn't know what they ate, really. And I'm glad they don't carry rabies. We have them around, I know for a fact. Be well, my dear. Thanks for all you do.

    ReplyDelete

Five Cats Fixed Yesterday

 Two Liliths from two towns were fixed yesterday.  Coincidence?  I guess. This Lilith is from Lebanon and was left behind by her people at a...