Tuesday, May 08, 2018

The Five Fixed Yesterday

Yesterday I took five cats to be fixed.

I took Hank from Albany. 

Hank, a big male, from Albany, neutered yesterday
Hank is likely a lost boy.  His feeder says he was quite fat when he first showed up a year ago, but lost weight in the following year.  He was likely once owned then left behind when someone moved leaving him on his own and begging for food from a stranger.   Getting him fixed, vaccinated and parasite free sure can't hurt his future, as a start.

Three girls from Silverton also were fixed yesterday.   They were a mother cat and her two older teen daughters. 
Mars

Galaxy

Venus

All three were lactating, not just Venus, the older female, who is mom also to the two teens girls, Mars and Galaxy.  Finding out all three were lactating, prompted a flurry of texts and calls between myself and the Salem trapper who had frantically searched for the six known young kittens under the house. We had thought originally all six of those kittens belonged to Venus.

We both decided the teen girls needed to return, in case there were other kittens out there.  But the tenant did not want them back.  By Monday morning, however, all six known kittens were caught.   The tenant living at the house then went and searched further in the back of the property behind her place, in case there were others, but found no other kittens.  She did not want the adults back, being under fire from a landlord over them.

It is thought the six kittens were a mixed group all three girls cared for.  But the tenant is watching and searching for others, just in case.  All three girls were terribly thin and undernourished.

All three of the Silverton girls went to my barn cat placement friend after surgery yesterday.  They were lucky she had space.  I only involve myself in removal situations when she does have space.  She also took the Lebanon mom, Persistence, and her three kittens.  Persistence was the fifth cat fixed yesterday.

Persistence, from Lebanon, also fixed yesterday
This is a difficult time of year.  All the females are in heat, pregnant or with kittens.   It's a time when I generally do not take on removal because I don't want to leave kittens out there in the brush or under a house somewhere.  This is the time of year people find young kittens and take them away without thinking about a mom that is caring for them and who will be frantically searching if they are taken.   That female will go back into heat and have more kittens too.  I am not a fan of the rescue practice that takes kittens and leaves mom.

  In a perfect world kittens and mothers would remain together, rescued together, saved and kept safe together.  But we don't live in a perfect world.  Not even close.

6 comments:

  1. Your final paragraph is painfully true.
    Thank you for making a positive difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Long time ago when we were looking for a cat, someone told us to wait for the spring when it was kitten season and that's what we did. Hopefully, there will be more people looking now, so you will find homes for all of the mothers and kittens you are finding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure they will all get homes. All went to various rescues, shelters who are good at what they do---finding homes for kittens and cats. I'm really grateful for adoption groups. I can't do it anymore. I know my place, my part, and what I can do and what I can't.

      Delete
  3. Such great names, as always! And thank you for documenting all these sweet faces with pictures. Out of curiosity, is that practice also for the non profit status, to keep documentation like that? It never occurred to me to ask before. Sorry if I'm just being obtuse.

    It sure is an imperfect world, which makes people like you so precious, indeed. ~hugs~ At least that tenant seems willing to do something and not just make the situation worse. That made me feel better after reading that she didn't want the adults back, plus the fact she had a reason due to the landlord. Be well, and take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, not for the nonprofit, but it does help with records. And has helped. One time an officer came to my door, accused me of abandoning a cat named "It" a few blocks away. The poor cat had been left on the sidewalk in a carrier with a note on the carrier, a Heartland Humane carrier no less, that said they couldn't care for the cat anymore. the cat was microchipped to both me and Heartland. I simply looked up the chip number and gave them the address of the people I'd gotten the cat fixed for and they had other cats too. But it didn't hurt at all I looked up posts on this blog for the date I got the cat fixed, was able to give the officer the blog post links, to emphasize what had gone on, and to provide photo proof he was there cat, and that they had other cats who also may be in danger. The people had told me their cats name was "Shit" but Heartland would not put that on a chip, as his name, so put "It" instead. It was those people who were shit. Anyhow, so the photos can be matched in date and name to my text records and its helped many times. But further, someone needs to document and validate the existence of these lost souls, largely unseen, often uncared about. They are living beings.

      Delete

Trip to Beach

 My Lebanon friend who gets so carsick, said she was going to the coast yesterday, did I want to go too. Of course I did.  She has to drive ...