Tuesday, April 10, 2018

13 More

I got 13 more cats from the new colony just south of Albany fixed yesterday at two clinics.  Six were fixed at Heartland Humane and seven were done up at Willamette Humane's spay neuter clinic.  This makes 21 cats fixed there in just over a week.  8 from the same colony were fixed last Monday at Willamette Humane.

This is not one of those colonies that was easy to see or think about.  I waded through a soaked yard.  I caught many of them this time by tying a string around the neck of a full water bottle propped under the trap door, to hold it up.  That way I didn't catch the already fixed cats who ate so much wet food I thought they must have an extra stomach!

I urged them to get the tame ones (which is most of them) into shelters and rescues.   Heartland was ready to take the three teens who are super tame but on the day they said they'd take them over, they didn't.

At least they will be fixed and vaccinated.

Except for three.   I had reservations given me today for the last two adult males, one black and one orange.  I was too tired, driving too much, up to Salem, then over to Corvallis, twice, to drop off, then to pick up, to catch those boys myself.  With urging, the feeder put one boy, who is tame, in a trap but never did get the orange one.  So there's the orange free roaming boy needs fixed and two more she has inside her trailer.  She says she has bought vouchers to get them fixed.

Here are the six who were fixed at Heartland.

Billy, a young brown tabby boy, fixed yesterday.

Cringer, a gray tabby tux young male, fixed yesterday.

Sheann, a very young tabby tux girl, fixed yesterday.

PJ, a mackerel tabby girl, fixed yesterday.

Sylvester, a black tux male, fixed yesterday.

Sly, a gray tux little boy, fixed yesterday.
And the seven all black ones were fixed up in Salem.

This is Blackie, a male
This is Midnight, a female.  I'd been told she was very pregnant, but she was not pregnant at all.  But...labeled post partum, which means she has had kittens withn the last few months.  She was not lactating, however, at all.  The kittens may have been born dead, born and died, born and she walked away from them, or killed by dogs or other predators.  It's been pouring rain here and she could have had them out in that, causing their deaths.
Mismatch, a medium hair black boy fixed yesterday.
Rollie, who is young and has a URI, but nonetheless fixed.
Sargent, a black male, also fixed yesterday.
And lastly, Squaker, another black male.
Wait, I forgot Twitch, the other female, spayed yesterday too.
I'll return them today, but will have to get some help from somebody with a car.  I drive the two I have to be fixed today, Howler, another black male from this same colony, then the little feral black teen from the county park, up to the clinic then take my car to the mechanic.

Yesterday, I also mowed the front lawn because it was really nice and sunny out.  The lawn hadn't dried out from the soaking wet weekend but its already raining again, and will be for awhile, so it was the only chance I'd have.

Well, be a busy day of mostly cleaning and hoping my car problem is minor and cheap.  Ha!  How delusional I've become over the years.

UPDATE:   It's a right front hub bearing gone bad on the car, I believe the mechanic said, be fixed by 3:00 today. 

11 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:42 AM

    As always, so well done you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrew, my Australian contributor!

      Delete
  2. Echoing Andrew. And hoping that the last three can be relieved of the tyranny of breeding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks EC, another Australian for those who might not know. I wish I could visit you one day, EC and your beautiful country, particularly your area. You have so many beautiful photos.

      Delete
  3. Once again, I am amazed by how many cats you capture and get fixed. Good luck with your car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My car is already fixed, if you can believe it. Was indeed a wheel bearing and now its replaced.

      Delete
  4. My eyes popped open at the title of this post. My heart aches for you, the things you witness and truths you know too well. ~hugs~ I hope that fix wasn't too costly. Glad it's done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't cheap. $300. I thought it was going to be less but I heard wrong as I was trying to hear him tell me what was wrong in a store's public restroom. So credit card time!

      Delete
  5. As I understand your situation with cats, you have several that are your cats, and that have the run of your home, plus you have the occasional kittens that are adoptable, and they too have the run of your home. You also have feral cats that you keep entirely in cages until you can get them neutered after which they're released back where they came from. But where do you keep their cages and how do you manage their waste?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try not to have ferals longer than night before and night after surgery. Very rarely I have them longer while I wait for a placement. They are in large wire cages with shelves. The shelves have bedding. The cages hold a carrier, where they can sleep and hide and a small litter box, which I pull and clean every day.

      Delete
  6. Anonymous6:25 AM

    Hi there, I read your new stuff regularly. Your story-telling style is witty, keep doing what you're doing!

    ReplyDelete

Ten Extras

 I have ten extra cats in my garage. Nine are in traps, just brought over from the Scravel colony.    They are almost all orange tabbies, wi...