Friday, February 27, 2009

Calls for Help Increasing Again

I got a call from a desperate Jefferson woman, feeding strays originally fed by a neighbor up the street, who also has a bunch of dogs, who now come try to eat anything they can find on her porch too. She's been laid off now and was crying. She doesn't want the cats killed or to starve. She said she'd try to donate what she could and I said to forget about that, since she's suffering so, to help these cats out, and even the neighbors' dogs.

I'm getting the cats in right away if I can. I know Poppa's funds are low but I am doing all I can to try to find ways to make fixing money. Even tiny donations from caregivers are very helpful too. Those Scio folks with 20 cats are donating $15 per cat which is pretty good, given they have so many.

So I've got those 20 being taken to the vet by their caretakers, three more today I think, five scheduled for Monday. But I want to get on top of this Jefferson situation immediately too, since the woman is so depressed and desperate over it, mainly to reassure her that I won't forget.

Then there's the Columbus situation Catman Roger asked for help with, 8 or so, some pregnant and a new Siamese showed at his place.

Then a woman called who lives near I5, just south of Highway 20 on the Albany side of the freeway, near 13th street, in that relatively newly developed area, who said there are cats all over the place there, but she thinks a lot of them might be owned. She is angry with negligant cat owners in the area. She said a stray female and an owned male were doing it atop the neighbors pitched roof a couple nights ago. I said "that would have made an interesting video." She agreed.

I suggested she go door to door, get lists of owned cats in the area, urge cat owners allowing unfixed cats to free roam, to get them fixed, identify known strays and I told her I'd help get those strays fixed immediately. So she thought that was a good plan of action and will call me back.

When cats start fighting, spray marking, and yowling when in heat, the calls start to come. That's fine. I also call this time of year "roadkill male" season, because unfixed male cats cross roads blindly, in pursuit of love and are often killed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FCCO Trip on Half Decent Day

 Yesterday, early morning, I headed to FCCO with ten cats from the Scravel colony.   I don't get any records with the FCCO.  They are se...