Saturday, January 17, 2009

Upsets Me to Lose One

I do get upset when I lose a cat. Just makes me want to cry. It also makes me want to rant and rave over the people around here, who don't fix their cats, and put the responsibility and sorrow of the consequences of their actions onto others.

The other big male I got fixed from the yard was back last night. It is possible the loss of the other big guy will save this one's life, that he won't get infected. But there was something about his fur, when I looked at him in the trap, that had made me think then, a day before trapping the second positive male, that he might be positive.

FIV cats get dry almost hollow feeling hair. They often also begin to loose hair and get skin eruptions. This other male had that dry hollow looking hair. I bet he's positive. They arrived from different directions, but you can bet they knew each other. They were two big dominant males. How long ago to the Big Guy become infected, and from what cat? I don't know.

FIV is primarily a disease of the unfixed males. The virus is harbored best in deep bite wounds inflicted when they fight. It is so preventable.

Because so many people don't feel the need to fix their cats here in Albany, FIV is epidemic. It is tragic. The responsibility for the spread of this disease lays squarely on the shoulders of irresponsible pet owners, who let their cats free roam and don't fix them. FIV results in reverse natural selection, or sort of twisted up natural selection. The biggest most hormoned up males are the ones who fight and ones who get the disease and spread it to other fighting males. Maybe natural selection will choose for pacificts and change the face of the male cat world ultimately. Pacifists survive to breed, because they don't fight other males and get infected. Wouldn't that be something and wouldn't that be something in the human world?

I would love to see neighbors start sueing neighbors who let unfixed cats free roam, for endangering the health of well cared for fixed cats. It would only be fair and right, because they put other cats at risk, which means costs and heartache to real cat lovers.

I haven't seen the starving calico now in two days. Is she dead? Or is she off sleeping, relaxed, now with a full belly? I don't know.

I haven't been able to make videos of the cats for awhile because the kittens destroyed my speakers and other crucial components necessary to upload video. I hope to repair some of the damaged cables and equipment over the weekend.

I have been having a tough time getting sleep lately. Why? Oh, it's Deaf Miss Daisy, going on very loud sprees in the night, racing around for sheer joy, screaming her deaf head off as she does so. She's so delightful, but gosh darn do I get upset with her, after several nights of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dog Days Behind a 7-11

 I spent five or six hours Saturday night behind the 7-11 again, after unfixed cats there. Woohoo, what an exciting life I live.  Wow.  I be...