Monday, November 24, 2008

Two Females Fixed Today

The poster child colony, as I've dubbed it, is done. I had trapped the third teen, from the colony last night, and already trapped an angry big tom and the two other teen girls for spay. But the mother was skittish and coy and refused to go in a trap last night. Didn't help that the just returned now neutered male went back in it over and over and over again.

I think he quickly became a trap whore, loving the great bait and attention involved in getting trapped. Maybe he even loved the thrill of feeling the trigger plate give beneath his paw, with the inevitable drop of the door. You never know.

But the couple, already burdened down under the care of 12 area strays that they have paid to be fixed and vaccinated out of their very lean fixed retirement income, were desperate she be fixed. Reassuring them that I would get her did little to alleviate their long term concerns.

They could see what might have happened, with four girls and one tom, and many other unfixed toms lurking the area, in early spring, and it wasn't a nice thought. The number of cats would explode and they knew it. Four females having four to five kittens each in the first litter of the spring would increase a five cat colony to at least a 21 or 25 cat colony. That would be merely with the first litters born. By the end of next summer, they might have been feeding 70 cats. That's how fast it can happen.

So, I got a call after I got back from taking the third teen to the vet. It was Scott. They had tricked her into entering their house and slammed the door. She went nuts, climbing the curtains and tearing around searching for an escape, but he had his welding gloves on, got ahold of her and got her into a carrier. Man! He's like in his 60's!

I see these young people sitting on their butts who won't even help watch a trap or do anything, citing some fake ailment. I'll think of him after this, when I see lazy ass young people. I'll think they're even more pathetic now.

So I went and picked her up and took her also to the vet. They're having a slow day, lots of cancelled appointments and no shows. They asked if I could just hang out awhile, while they did her, so I wouldn't have to come back up and I was happy to do that. It didn't take them long. Maybe a half hour.

My Poppa allotment for the month is gone and that's just fine. December and a new allotment is almost here. And I have embarked on a fundraising attempt. I have had zero response so far, in my pleas, online, by phone, and in person, to find 150 people willing to donate $20 per month.

In fact, I have not found one single willing person.

So far, I'm a fundraising flunkee!

2 comments:

  1. I could donate $20 per month to Poppa, would you be sure that you would get it?
    I've got a new one in the carport who needs to be trapped and neutered. I have no trap anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i could donate twenty a month, Jody - again, would you get it if it went to Poppa?

    ReplyDelete

Round Up

Today is cat round up for tomorrow's five spots.  Two more came up from the vet student in Harrisburg late this morning.  Over 60 fixed ...