Sunday, August 24, 2008

FCCO Clinic Today

I went to the FCCO clinic today, but got a late start. I couldn't find my keys!

I didn't take any cats. The coordinator couldn't sign up enough vets for a two shift all day clinic, probably because so many people are on last of summer vacations before school starts. So, he had to cut short the number of cats allowed into the clinic. I didn't mind not bringing any.

I was going to try to trap a mom and four kittens at a Corvallis complex, but really, they couldn't go back there after they were fixed. I've trapped there before, only to have them end up at Heartland, scheduled for death, re-trapped by Animal Control. So, without anywhere for this mom and kittens to go, to trap them, would be foolish and heartbreaking and wasteful of my scarce dollars. I have to pay $25 per cat to take them to the FCCO clinics, out of my own pocket now or with donations I round up. I've slid by before, taking lots of cats in that I trap for people who don't or won't or can't trap the cats they feed themselves, scrounging the donations I can, but I kind of got scolded two clinics ago for doing that, so now I only go if I have money to cover any cats I take.

So I went over and helped awhile at the clinic, after I finally found my keys, behind my desk no less, drug there by the playful Sashi. But I suddenly became very tired, and fell asleep on a couch. When I woke up, I told Nick, the coordinator, I was coming home.

I stopped by the barn where the two gray boys were supposed to go this weekend. I had tried and tried to get ahold of the woman, without success. I could not find her there, but spent an hour cleaning the room where she feeds the cats, thinking she'd see my car and come talk to me. Finally her husband came through the barn and said his wife was sick. I told him I hadn't brought the cats because I had not been able to get ahold of her. And finally I just came on home.

I had a couple offers of homes for cats. Sunny, the orange tabby, who was going to go to the barn home, too, is headed for a home now near Monmouth on Tuesday. That is great news. I asked if they would consider taking the two gray boys also, from the Kitten Yard, but haven't heard back. If they don't, that's fine, I'll have to find them somewhere, but I'm really hoping they will. They have acreage and shops, etc, large property.

Anyhow, still no home for Sashi, however. I decided against the Corvallis home with the dog for her. The male cat they had before, adopted from Heartland, but who disappeared after a year, was severely stressed at the house, they said, and I am betting the dog, an energetic herder, had something to do with that.

So anyhow, another Corvallis family has expressed interest, but I really want her to be an indoor only kitten. Truly I do. She' beloved. I don't want her mauled and torn up by coytoes or a dog or hit by a car, that breaks her bones, but leaves her alive for awhile. I don't want her shot or poisoned or trapped by a cat hating neighbor and dumped miles away or drowned. These are the fates met by a lot of free roaming house pets.

People don't seem to care, either. They let it happen and get another cat.

I just hope to find some responsible kind person or family for Sashi. There must be one out there for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Round Up

Today is cat round up for tomorrow's five spots.  Two more came up from the vet student in Harrisburg late this morning.  Over 60 fixed ...