Monday, May 26, 2008

Man Charged with Shooting Neighbor's Dog

A man on Clover Ridge Road shot a neighbors dog who was going after his chickens a second time. The dog's owner is in a wheelchair and told reporters she couldn't go out after the dog. I wonder how the dog got out in the first place. My guess is she let it out, to go to the bathroom, or to run. If she is in a wheelchair, why would she get a big dog that needs to run. Does she not have a fenced yard, I wonder? If not, again, why would she get a big dog?

Anyhow, it's sad all around. A man is charged with felony animal abuse and a dog is dead. At HTN, man, there are some dangerous dogs often running loose too. Dogs like the Golden Retriever that killed over a dozen cats. One of them killed was that little long hair gray tux, whose front leg was mangled. She survived for awhile, until I netted her. She was so horribly injured and infected by that time. How she suffered. She was euthanized.

On that street, the barking is extreme sometimes and sometimes so loud it sounds like a dog pound. Dogs are mostly kept inside small places all day, without backyards, or tied to junk. It's very very sad. One Chow will rocket out of a house, if he gets the chance and just run and run and run. Takes them a long time to find him sometimes.

I've been bitten by a lot of dogs. Once, I had just arrived at a horse stable, to help with a bunch of unfixed cats there, and a group of dogs came around a corner before I could even react and one grabbed me on the kneecap.

And then there was that dog in Millersburg the man let out, with two other dogs, when I knocked, trying to return three cats I'd taken in for them, to be fixed. The one dog rushed out the door and attached to my calf in a split second. Boy that hurt. He bit deep and I have scars from that one. That man knew his dog bites. The dog has bitten many people and still they keep the dog. When he attacks a child, then it will be over. Someone needs to talk straight to those people about their vicious dog and the pain he's already caused, to people like me, with my scars. But those people just used me to get about 20 cats fixed and they don't give a shit I have scars to show for meeting them.

I got bitten three times in two months by Pomeranians. Thing is, every single one of those owners knew the dog bit people. That is just very very irresponsible and mean.

I carry a big can of bear pepper spray now and I use it if a dog comes at me. And I use it if they latch onto my leg, too and I have absolutely no qualms about doing so.

After two severe bite wounds from dogs, I know the damage they can do just by crushing with their jaws. People whose dogs bite, should be sued for being really irresponsible, mean and apathetic.

I never used to think twice about seeing dogs. I've owned dogs and like them. But now, when I see a dog, I think about the pain of those bites and automatically wonder if the dog is going to attack me. I suppose it's silly, but, it's hard to forget the shock of a group of dogs coming around a corner at you in a split second.

2 comments:

  1. Poor kitty with the mangled leg. Thanks for giving her peace, Strayer. She would have died a slow, horrible death if you hadn't intervened.

    Yup. Once bitten, always a little shy - I had no fear of dogs until I was unexpectedly bitten one day and now, although I still love dogs, my instincts are to be a little cautious until I know for certain they're friendly.

    I'll be mailing the envelope I promised you this week (just so you know :)).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Whitesocks. I know. I love dogs, but now I am cautious around even the friendly ones.

    ReplyDelete

Trip to Beach

 My Lebanon friend who gets so carsick, said she was going to the coast yesterday, did I want to go too. Of course I did.  She has to drive ...