Monday, April 21, 2008

The Soon-to-be-One-eyed Shenade, from Tattoo Prairie


Shenade was attacked by something six months ago, the Tattoo Prairie man told me, and that's how her eye was badly damaged, infected and now is bulging and causing her great pain. He told me she has only one eye. He hadn't told me it was clouded over and bulging. Usually, the cats with such eyes I encounter have fought bouts of herpes. But this was caused by a fight, which he claims, tore up half her face and he didn't think she would even live.

She has suffered for six months. He claims she has been an angry cat, a loner, and didn't think to connect that with the extreme pain she has been in. She was pregnant Friday when she was spayed, so despite the pain she was in, she had to go through males fighting over her, attacking her, holding her down, as I witnessed there with the teen females.

She was hissy and hiding at first in the rabbit hutch I housed her in, after her spay Friday. I'd seen that eye, and knew she wasn't going back there and that I was going to get that eye removed. That day will be Wednesday. She will first be tested for FIV/Felk. If she's got leukemia, she would not recover without consequences to the surgery. The consequences likely would be death within a few months, because of the immune response required to heal and the fact leukemia, an immune suppressing virus, would likely activate and roar into high gear.

In post spay surgery leukemia positive cats (those not tested, so I did not know they were positive), I have discovered, through caregiver's calls, that the cats have died and the most common cause---ocular tumors. I don't know why this is, but it's happened over and over again. I either go get the cat and take it to a vet before it dies, have it tested, and then euthanized, or necropsied, if dead, or the caregiver does, and that's how I've seen so much of it.

So anyhow, Shenade is going in Wednesday. She acted feral at first, but I put a net over her and began to pet her and put drops in that bad eye. Then'd she want me in there petting her and would want to lay against my arm when I'd lean into the rabbit hutch and she'd want brushed and her chin scratched.

So I do these things, knowing she's had it very rough for months now on end, without any empathy or softness to the pain she's gone through.

And here's another sad thing. Out at Red Linda colony, the caretaker said Flash, the little tame orange tabby male, disappeared the same day last week that his buddy, a spayed young brown tabby tux female, was hit on the road so hard that her rear leg detached. It was left laying in the road. Whomever hit her, did not stop. People drive like maniacs out there.

She found the brown tabby tux female, crying and crying and scooped her up and took her in to her vet, who cleaned up the wound, (no amputation required since the leg was gone) and will keep her there and try to adopt her out from his office.

It's likely Flash got creamed too, by the speed freak, so engulfed in himself or herself that they would do this to a couple of cats and leave a cat without a leg laying on the road.

The speed freaks are everywhere. It's scarey the way people drive these days and how they disregard all lives in the process. Speed freaks are very self-centered people.The brown tabby, now with one rear leg missing and up for adoption at a local vet's office.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dashing

 Got a message this morning.  Was I even really awake yet?   The weather has been really winterish, with winds, pouring rain, cold, even thu...