Friday, February 22, 2008

Nonfunctional and I Don't Care

I just don't care that much that my garage door is dying. Am I wrong in not caring? I'm not stressed over it. I can open it and close it manuelly. I'm not stressed my hose has sprung leaks, either. I'm slightly stressed the power bill was close to $175 this month. This place is all electric and my brother had three contractor crew members of his here for two days to build the cat yard. Contractor guys bring tangles of extension cords and power tools. Just tons of them. Everything, even nailing is done with power tools now, not muscle.

The cat yard and run were not finished despite all those power tools present, partly because contractor guys tore down most of what I had done, which took all of one day. My work was judged inadequate. They were not able to complete the run or yard the next day. They also left three piles of junk which I have yet to clean up.

I finished the cat run later on, using one power tool, an arm powered hammar, and a rusty old arm powered saw. Sure the physical labor hurt my neck and back, but not for that long. Ok, so my back is still killing me nights. If contractor guys come back, I hope they don't just tear all I've done down again. It takes them so much time to tear down that they then have no time to build anew.

Besides, there's the cost of all those power tools running. That's what hoisted my bill to the stars for last months' usage. Screw power tools!

So I still have no cat yard. Oh well.

My garage door isn't working. Oh well.

What do these things matter, really, in the big scheme of things?

My camera fried this week, too. I do miss that camera. I enjoyed taking photos of the cats I get fixed. And I keep a photo record of each cat in each colony, which has proven immensely helpful.

But oh well.

I took really good care of that camera. Nothing I can do about it now that it is fried. I walk by it and look over at it. Sometimes I touch it, run my index finger down the dull silver side of it. It sits on a dresser now, like a revered retired war hero.

I heard my old friend Wendy speak at the Corvallis library last night on Mystery Writing after her book, Death Pans Out, was published and quite successful. I was on the way out to Whitey2 colony to try to trap leftovers. I figured even though we don't communicate anymore and haven't for a long long time, that I still should show some respect and support. Besides I was curious, like a gawker, to see if she's changed any, since all her success.

Wendy is a funny entertaining speaker and should have been a comedian and still could be if the mystery writer gig doesn't fly. She's down to earth and humble and honest. I always liked that about her. She'd not tell you something just because you wanted to hear it. She'd tell you the truth. You could count on the truth out of Wendy even if it hurt.

Besides, I want to keep track if her next book, No Angel, comes out, because she copped a character in it, in orginal drafts of that book at least, off part of my life. So when that next mystery comes out, I want to read it.

I caught one more Whitey at Whitey2. There are allegedly two more Whiteys in the colony I haven't caught yet. Makes 11 caught there I think so far with the one late last night. I also returned six last night to Whitey2--four boys and two girls. One of the two girls was a blackey.

Before heading over to hear Wendys talk, I stopped by HTN. I'd released the gray and white short hair male I'd trapped at the two old ladies place. They'd been chomping at me to catch both the others they feed--a gray tabby on white and a black tux DMH female.

So I set the trap. I was going to have the old man down at HTN proper come check it, so I could rush off to Corvallis and hear W, but I caught the gray tab on white quickly. She was out in my car in a trap while I listened to Wendy, after which I went on out to Whitey2 and caught, with the drop trap, one more unfixed Whitey.

Six cats are up being fixed. Five Whitey2 colony cats, including the second all black, also a female, also pregnant like her sister, and one HTN gray tab on white.

Tomorrow I'm taking three owned tame cats from HTN and five Lebanon cats to Tigard. Still recruiting donations to help cover all this cat fixing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Round Up

Today is cat round up for tomorrow's five spots.  Two more came up from the vet student in Harrisburg late this morning.  Over 60 fixed ...