Sunday, January 20, 2008

Join the Cat Trapper in Beating Kitten Season. Fix Everything!

Always in the back of my mind--kitten season. It's just around the corner. Kitten season equals massive suffering in the cat world. Someone from Dallas told me just this morning, that three litters were born to three females just on her block right after she'd moved to Dallas. She'd never in the world thought about what a huge issue cat overpopulation is. She got to thinking, if she knew just three people on her block who let their cats have kittens, if you magnify that just in the small town of Dallas, my gosh, what a problem it becomes. There are not enough homes for all these kittens born. That fact means thousands are doomed from birth.

In the meantime, I am trying to find a home for Snowman. He's my number one priority to place. Second priority is Hope, although she is quite happy here. Third priority--Mooki, who has completely come out of his shell. And of course I am always hoping someone will want Shady. Shady is a kick. She likes to carry things around in her mouth. She gets into it with every cat here, wanting to play with them and be near them all. Hope at first was put off by such outright friendliness. She'd swat and hiss at Shady who would just ignore her, move out of her way a bit, and try again to entice her into play. Shady is like an ambassador of goodwill. She's just delightful.

I don't have to do any work for tomorrow's cat load. Four boys are coming from Sweet Home, via their own rescuer/fosterer. And I'm picking up the last two tamies from the Millersburg Country Colony. One is the female who began it all. The male is one of her kittens.

Wednesday and Friday's cat fixes will, hopefully be the colony of 12 from Lebanon. Then for Sunday's 22 reservations at the Philomath FCCO clinic, I have the Turner colony of 20 or so, and three or four, backup, in Corvallis need trapped and fixed. Someone turned up another Albany 30 cat colony, many tame. S is bringing about half of them, hopefully to the Philomath FCCO clinic, then I will help clean up the remainders.

I still have five or six ferals to trap at the Lebanon Kind Hearted Woman colony. Five or six more at HTN and four or five more at Slophouse, too, although that other woman, with help from a friend of hers, is still planning on trapping that one to finish, if she can. I've trapped five there now and she has trapped three.

I have a message on my phone from someone wanting some cats fixed. The race is on now, to try to keep kitten season from resulting in massive suffering and death for the cats of Linn and Benton counties.

You can help. Start fixing cats, any you can, from going door to door, to trapping strays and getting them fixed through FCCO clinics, your own vet, or through the Neuterscooter, wherever you can. If dozens of people joined the effort, especially here in Linn and Benton counties, massive good could happen quickly and much suffering could be prevented.

Get to it, folks. We can do it, all together. But I can't find every unfixed cat alone. Come on.

2 comments:

  1. I just have to take the time to tell you that I admire all your time and effort dedicated to saving cats. I feel an affinity toward you because I do the same things. I feed, trap, keep and try to find homes for all the cats in and around my area in L.A. that I come in contact with. You are a blessing to them and I thank you,it does my heart good to know that you are out there.

    Warmest regards.
    Christian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Christian. So you do this in LA. That must be a million times harder.

    ReplyDelete

FCCO Trip on Half Decent Day

 Yesterday, early morning, I headed to FCCO with ten cats from the Scravel colony.   I don't get any records with the FCCO.  They are se...