Friday, January 25, 2008

HTN Colony Today

Photo is of Goldie, a young orange tabby tux female, now spayed and ultra friendly. She is the next HTN kitty I want to place in a home.

The HTN Colony was a catastrophe in the making, when I arrived on scene, with my traps and my net and a desire to improve lives there for the cats, the cats' caretakers and that neighborhood. There were over 50 unfixed cats roaming the area. I set to work immediately. In the first five I trapped for spay/neuter surgery, was a young very pregnant female, from across the street. This prevented five more cats from being born into an immense problem. It also saved money for Poppa Inc. who is paying for these fixes.

Across the street, I also got fixed four teens, three of them females, and two big males. Many the old man feeds originate from the problem across the street, too.

The colony is almost entirely fixed now. But there are few holdouts. There is an adult long hair torti, with two of her kittens from last fall, one a torti tux and the other a black tux, now teens, and soon the torti tux kitten and her mother will be in heat. They don't come over much, to the old mans' place, and the shed they live in, is on the property of a man who is not very cooperative. He does not claim them as his, however.

Then, on the nice old man's side, there is still one long hair old tabby female, one long hair black female, a teen white with gray tabby blotches, like his mom, who is now fixed, and a skinny gray tabby of unknown sex. Seven left in all to catch and fix. Down from over 50. I'll be getting back to fixing there, getting the stragglers, next week.

I've found homes for some. Three kittens died, two after I brought them here, the third, shortly after I found it, pretty much frozen and very ill, in the berry vines there. A very sick large orange tabby male was euthanized. So was the gray and white long hair emacieated female, badly injured by a dog. I believe there was one more who died.

Mickey, the male with the exploded eye, whom I netted, now resides loved and pampered in British Columbia. Weed, the orange tabby kitten, who was so sick with pneumonia, along with his sister Tulip, that I had to sub cu them for fluids and force feed them for a week after they came here, got a home in Corvallis. Tulip is in Portland.

Ozzie, a sweet little black and white long hair male kitten, got a home. Chirp got a home and so did Elmo, his brother. Both were first neutered. Three other kittens were fostered by a friend in Oakridge, then got homes after they were fixed. Brambles, a black tux who had severe herpes conjunctivitis at neuter, had to remain with me, the vet said, or he would lose the eye. He is here, well, but hasn't yet found a home.

Ten so far have gone to homes then. Six have died or been euthanized due to disease. 16 less cats for the old man to feed, is the bottom line. And the rest, well they're doing much better.

I want to find Goldie a home, if possible. She's a young orange tabby tux short hair female, now fixed and is ultra friendly, to say the least. Goldie Long, is a long hair sweetheart male. Those are the next two I hope to place as I continue to make sure everyone there is fixed.

Today, a woman came down from Portland and took home two of the BS colony cats, which is two less cats that old couple have to care for now. Both were of course now fixed and she brought two bags of cat food for the couple, to help them out. It was a good chance for these two cats from such a large cat situation out there. At least they are all fixed out there now, too. 91 cats! But I have rehomed a ton of them.

This is one of the cats still unfixed. She's a female, with two teen kittens, still not fixed either.
This is Peppy, Brambles brother. Brambles is here with me, awaiting a home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Park

 I went to the park yesterday with my friend.  I was aching for human contact.  She goes every day and so I left my car at her place and rod...