Thursday, December 20, 2007

Eartips at Heartland

Heartland calls me when an eartipped cat shows up there. An eartip identifies a cat as already fixed. Usually I can identify the cat. Sometimes I can find the cat somewhere to go. Not this time, unfortunately. I have no room at the inn. I feel for ferals who end up at Heartland. They are killed there. Heartland has no way to hold ferals. Think about it. How could they? And yet many in the public don't think it through and think if they take ferals and feral kittens into a shelter or call Animal Control about them, that they're actually helping the cats. Well, that's delusional and stupid thinking. They're signing their death certificates. Anyhow, wish I could have saved these two.

I don't know the Siamese male with one eye. I didn't get him fixed. I do know the gray tabby eartipped female they have there, brought in from Fern Road. I got her fixed through Poppa funds early last summer. I recognized her from the picture sent to me by Heartland. They want these cats brought in to them to live, to have a chance, even if they're not set up to hold ferals. I wish I could take this pair of cats on, but I can't. I'm overloaded with unwanted cats now.

I trapped cats some people living on Fern Road, were feeding, and got their house pets fixed. The gray tabby female was an outside cat that was there when they moved in. She was tame, but I got her eartipped because she was an outside cat. Now they've moved out, I guess, and someone else has fed her for awhile, and doesn't want to anymore. Likely, she won't make it out of this situation alive either.

Makes me sad there are so many unwanted cats out there, who end up dead because there just aren't enough homes or people willing to take them on. The problem is huge. The only answer lies in massive spay/neuter efforts and education, although I don't have much faith in the latter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ten Extras

 I have ten extra cats in my garage. Nine are in traps, just brought over from the Scravel colony.    They are almost all orange tabbies, wi...