Friday, October 19, 2007

I'm Sick

A bad cold has struck my head. I knew it must be coming. Many of the people I've had close contact with for weeks have been sick. Then I abused myself, not getting enough rest. Add stress to the mix, and boom. I'm sick.

Last night I wanted to sleep so badly. My one volunteer brought over the three NW Corvallis kittens--Berry, Breezy and Thor. All are recuperating from ringworm. Thor, who is a manx gone too far, has bathroom completion issues and I don't know where or how he will ever be placed in a home. Berry and Breezy had to be turned loose in the general population, since I had no other private foster space. Aces, Shady and Little Miss Sunshine are in the bathroom. LMS is the only still showing any signs of ringworm, but Aces came down with a nasty cold, exposed the other two, so they must all be isolated.

Mooki, Machi and Meeko's brother, who came down with ringworm, is over it and now in my general population. Teddy, the last of Hope's kittens here, got a home yesterday. He too had overcome his ringworm. Course I was bathing 8 kittens three times weekly in anti fungal to rid them of it. That wasn't easy. But no good thing comes easy.

Machi and Meeko are in homes. I get updates from their adoptors and yesterday, I got photos of Meeko and Scottie from the couple who adopted them. Oh, how that made me happy, to see them doing so well.

I miss Old Sal so very much. His adoptors say he is adjusting well, greeting everyone who comes into their place and being a great lovable kitty, like he only could be, because he is wonderful.

With the death of Butterscotch and Old Sal gone, the balance here is upset and the cats too are having a hard time, as they do when a favorite, like Old Sal and like Meeko, is adopted, or when there is a death and they know a long timer here has died.

Solomon is having a very tough time with the changes. He took to attacking little Skippy, the cute Gore colony kitten fixed on Tuesday in Tigard. So I took Skippy back to his colony. I will still list him, and if he gets an interest, I'll go get him. I also didn't want him exposed to any possible ringworm spores left here or to the kitty colds. It is best he goes back for now.

The tux teen from Hate Thy Neighbor is still fighting conjunctivitis although he and the two small kittens are over pneumonia. I do not know how this will come out. The little teen tux may also lose an eye. Micky, the orange and white one eyed boy, is doing great and eating everything in sight!

So, as far as adoptibles now, I have Mooki, the last remaining Spicer Boy. I have Aces and Shady, from the BS, although Aces is getting over a cold, and I have LIttle Miss Sunshine, the sweetheart Siamese from Fern Road in Philomath, still getting over ringworm, although she's almost overcome it. She was the last of the exposed kittens to catch it.

I have Cozy, the last of the downtown Albany kittens to place. She's not one of Hope's, but rather from a feral calico, now fixed. She and her siblings, up in Beaverton waiting on homes, were so flea infested and pathetic I could not return any of them after I trapped them, although their mother went back. Her sister, a torti, is there, too. The good neighbor found the torti's kittens homes. Hope's kittens are all now in homes and I don't know if Hope has a home yet or not. Hope went into foster in Corvallis after her eye was removed and the Corvallis woman and her friends were searching out a home for her. I had also gotten three stray males fixed there. So everyone is fixed and being fed and has shelter that's left there.

Cozy is a beautiful snowshoe lynx point Siamese female kitten, about four months old now, and slightly feral.

I have the three Lebanon ragamuffins, now adults--Panda, Scooter and Solomon. they want indoor/outdoor homes very badly.

I have Gretal, from highway 34 and I have Poppy, from 34th street. Poppy is fairly tame. Gretal remains shy. Both are now adult torti's. Both are gorgeous.

And I have the one eyed male, Micky. The two kittens, too small to be fixed, and the teen still fighting herpes.

I have Breezy, Berry and the impossible Manx sibling Thor. Berry and Thor are very tame and social now, while Breezy remains shy. My volunteer fosterer, who is visiting family this weekend back east, believes she has a home lined up for Berry. Breezy and the problem Manx Thor, still need options. She'll pick the three up on Monday when she gets back. She's a very nice woman, very smart and caring, and when she dropped them off last night, I was so tired and distraught, I could barely function.

So, I have here, 14 up for adoption, some with some issues of shyness. That's way down from what I've had at other times.

This leaves me my own four, all older cats--Hopi, who is almost ten, Moby, who is close to 14, Electra, who is nine, and the former river cat Vision, who is 12 or so.

I also have Old Scully here, also an old river cat, formerly fed by Myrtle who lived across from the Post Office in Corvallis and fed her along the river. Scully is extremely old and will remain here until she dies.

I have Miss Daisy, who is deaf, who also now I claim as mine. And I have Dex, thrice rescued, she couldn't take another relocation, so she'll stay.

I have two bobtails, Comet, from Heatherdale Trailer Park, who is now two years old, and Cattyhop, a one year old bobtail gray tux from highway 226, just off HIghway 20. They are buddies, shy only at first, and delightful fun cats. I would love to see them go together. I guess that makes 16 up for adoption if I count them.

Of my own, those I will keep, I count the seven, all older cats, except for Dex, who is about six or eight, and Miss Daisy, who is three. Moby, Vision, Electra, Hopi and Scully, are all relatively elderly.

So, currently, I am caring for 23 cats. Of the four in my bedroom, including the one eyed Mickey, all could be returned, as last resort, to the Hate Thy Neighbor colony.

I am searching for the contact information on a woman who wanted barn cats and loved Manx and Siamese. I had misunderstood she wanted barn cats, when they came over, and fell in love with Cattyhop and Little Miss Sunshine. I want them to go as housepets. But Thor can't be a housepet with his "completion" issues, as a manx. So this might be a good situation for Thor and Cozy.

3 comments:

  1. Strayer: Hope you are feeling better soon. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, How are you doing? It sounds like you have a lot going on with all those kitties. What a great person you are to do so much. I wish we lived closer.
    Take care and know we're thinking of you. I'm sure you'll feel Butterscotch checking in from time to time as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Meggie and Mr. Hendrix. BEing sick is forcing me to get some rest and take a break. I needed that.

    ReplyDelete

Round Up

Today is cat round up for tomorrow's five spots.  Two more came up from the vet student in Harrisburg late this morning.  Over 60 fixed ...