Saturday, November 18, 2017

Killing Fleas

Parasites suck, literally, and can carry all kinds of diseases.  You don't want parasites that feed on blood in your house.  They eat somebody's blood then could hop off and switch to you and infect you with bad things.

Fleas carry things like worm larvae, diseases like hemobartonella and even the plague.   They're not welcome here.

However, flea treating the crowd of cats, most feral, that haunt my place and cat yard, can be physically demanding.  They get the picture fast of what's going down, and after the first few cats, I have to bring out my fish net to get them.

I got most of them done yesterday, despite the difficulties of chasing down uncooperative cats.  I simply close the two bedroom doors, which locks most of them in their favorite places.  Then I systematically treat each cat, clean their ears, trim their nails, and worm them.   Some are nicer than others about it.  For the true ferals, I get them in my net with a towel over them they can hide their heads under.  If they can hide their head, they feel safe.  I'm quick about it.   For my sake and theirs.  I also had to shave off fat Oci's mats.

Oci is badly overweight and feral to boot.  She's been here ten years and is 10 1/2 years old.  At least.  She was left behind in Millersburg, with Sam and many others when someone just abandoned the trailer they lived in, kicking the cats outside with their kittens.  The kittens grew up wild and were all in their late teens by the time I got called on it.  Oci was near starved to death, with terribly inflamed eyes and the vet advised long term eye treatment.  So she stayed here for that.  And was not adoptable due to her feral nature and age.  I got her eye inflammation under control after a few months.  She wouldn't leave the food dish.  Most of the time, cats who have been starved, eventually slow down on the eating and realize the food isn't going away now. But not her.
Fat Oci, loves to nap, and has many many friends among the cats here.

I've tried various ways to get her exercise.  With so many cats, I have to free feed, so exercise was the option open to get her weight down.  I built the original cat wheel, and then a better one, years ago, for Oci, but she wouldn't use it.  Then I built the living room foster cage, just to contain her so I could limit her intake, but the shelves were too narrow for her.   My friend said, "she's happy right?"  "Yes," I said.  She said, "let her be."

I finally did.  With some lingering guilt.  But she gets mats on her back because she can't turn and groom herself on her upper back.  Yesterday, I shaved them off again.  I got some really cheap clippers on Amazon and they work so much better than anything I've used before, including some Andis clippers I got a few years ago that were not cheap.  You'd think the clippers are not even working they're so slow speed, but they trim mats like a charm.  I've never experienced the like!

The four Mclagan drive kittens are doing ok.  Winnie has lingering digestive issues, but the other three are thriving.  Winnie is too, I should say, gaining weight rapidly and playing like a kitten should and her digestive issues will resolve.  Takes time after suffering starvation.

Copper is the most delightful little girl kitten, (yes, she's is a girl.  I require reading glasses to sex kittens now and hadn't bothered with these four), and will be fixed Monday.  I have someone who wants her, hopefully that will work out.   The wilder pair, Meadow and Cheetah, are so funny and Meadow now arches her back and purrs loudly when petted.

I took away the carrier they used as a bed, in the bathroom, and hideout.  You have to do that if you want the wild ones to tame.






Look how the maple is repairing itself, after a branch tore off over a year ago.  It's forming new bark under the tattered old bark left after the branch tore off..  It's amazing to watch.  
Mostly the leaves have fallen now but a few remain, bright in color against the drabness that is taking over.

I really do love the county park even though the hours upon hundreds of hours I spent there was not so fun, trying to get all the cats fixed.   There are just the two boys left I feed every few days and I'm torn over removing them.  It's always best if they are left in familiar territory but going up there and feeding, is time and money costly.  But not that costly and I walk when I am there most of the time.  I need the exercise like fat Oci does and those cats give me incentive.  It is really a very beautiful park.



In the wind the other day, the neighbors basketball hoop was blown over and lay in the street, blocking at least half the road.   I knocked on their door, rang their bell, but no answer and finally, since it was late afternoon, and darkness comes early and this posed a terrible hazard, unable to lift it upright, I carried the lighter front end around to the curb.

7 comments:

  1. The park does look lovely. Really lovely. I really like the splash of golden colour against the tree bark too.
    Fortunately fleas aren't an issue here. Jazz has none. I don't think any of the cats who have lived in this house with us have been affected. I wonder why, but am grateful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its a nice park with a walking trail that is lengthy around it, made for use by the Frisbee golfers but us non frisbee golfer types can use it too. The river there is beautiful, the south fork of the Santiam River. It's nice you have no flea issues there. Here its the constant in and out of cats, even if in the garage, to be fixed, many of them horribly infested with fleas.

      Delete
  2. How good of you to move that plaything! That could have been a real disaster. I'm endlessly fascinated by the logistics of all you do. You're such a generous soul. Our two cats are back to the never ending food bowl. My partner kept overfeeding them, anyway, but they both seem to be at reasonable weights (for now). Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, its a toy and should have been moved before winter hit. That could have struck a vehicle when it fell and done serious damage. They are lucky. Most of the cats do not over eat and engage in constant play and climbing and jumping to the cat runs and shelves, which is one reason they exist, to keep the cats very active. Oci sometimes limps from joint issues due to her weight and that is one of the reasons I keep continue trying to at least get her exercise.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous1:06 PM

    Oci is tame for you now? I can feel your approaching winter in your video.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, not that tame, Andrew, I have to put a towel over her first, to clip her mats, but only for a couple minutes, then she settles down for the mat removal. It has to feel good to be rid of them. Yes, winter is here, not officially yet, but its been raining very hard for days and finally today, its damp with fog but no rain today. Tomorrow again more rain. The long gray is upon us here.

      Delete
  4. I'll bet battling fleas and other unwanteds is a non-stop job!

    ReplyDelete

FCCO Trip on Half Decent Day

 Yesterday, early morning, I headed to FCCO with ten cats from the Scravel colony.   I don't get any records with the FCCO.  They are se...