Monday, January 19, 2009

I Caught the Starving Calico!!!! Woohooo!

(This isn't her. Bet you'd thought I was pulling your leg. Her photo is the last photo) Beat up gray male, who is not fixed, but looks like he has a right eartip because his right ear is partially bitten or torn off. It sure looked like an eartip, but I took him out and "felt" him up and he is well-endowed. He's really a mess, too, with several bite wounds, possible fever from absesses, fleas, earmites. He's tame, but if someone owned this cat, they should be arrested for neglect, that's for sure. The two feeders in the trailer park say he's a stray and there's no reason not to believe that, given his deplorable condition.
And this is the female, Squeeky, whom Tough Old Gal has been after for a year to get fixed.
This is one of Squeeky's kitten, from her last ever litter!
This is the last calico I caught there, in Calico Triangles, as I call them and that was about a year ago. That first one, I got fixed, and relocated her to a barn home.
This is the Starving Calico I trapped this morning. She's very pretty.

I caught her. I knew she was using the culverts as a super highway and had been putting food in one way back in the field. Last night, I set a trap near the culvert's entrance. Nothing over night, even though I checked several times in the frozen night. Bait even froze.

This morning, I refreshed the bait, and just now, checked the trap again, and woohoo, I had her.

Long very painful walk carrying her in that trap, across a field, across 99E and up to the store, which was the closest place to park. Like I have said before, trapping there is not easy on old joints and bones, due to the rather dangerous location. Nonetheless, she's caught and now I can rest easy, catch up on sleep, and rest my joints and torn muscles.

Despite my aching joints and muscles, I am doing the Woohoo Caught the Calico dance. For sure!

8 comments:

  1. Oh well done Jody for catching the Starving Calico, she looks a bit worried (who wouldn't be!) but boy has her life just changed for the better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ....and best of luck for the beat up and neglected grey male.

    And because I swear by it - Comfrey oil rubbed liberally on the big aches with some heat on top can really help aching muscles and bones. Usually found in health food stores (sometimes blended with a bit of eucalyptus in it)

    The old english name for Comfrey was Boneset.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AHHHHHHHHHHH YOU GOT HER!!! Amazing!!!!! Sleep well tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome about the Calico. Is she tame?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Squeaky is adorable. I have a fondness for black and white tuxedos. Actually, I suppose I have a fondness for all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. She is very pretty, Squeaky is, that is. There are two tuxes there that Tough Old Gal feeds, maybe they're sisters. The other one was fixed last year at an FCCO clinic, so she hasn't been reproducing at least for a year. Now Squeaky will also be fixed. It's good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you got callie!!! that is so wonderful...see, it pays to persevere! I keep these cats in my prayers all the time, hoping against hope...

    ReplyDelete

The Park

 I went to the park yesterday with my friend.  I was aching for human contact.  She goes every day and so I left my car at her place and rod...