Thursday, December 18, 2008

Oversleep!

Long hair silver tabby manx male, being neutered today. Well, I was just informed by the vet clinic, that this male died instantly, the moment he was anesthesized. I called his caretaker, offered a necropsy. He declined and said "these things happen". They do. Likely the cat has a heart defect, infection or has been severely weakened through chronic fighting, breeding and parasite infestation. I will be parasite treating all the other cats from this location. The vet said they are earmite, flea and worm ridden. UPDATE: the lady who used to live two blocks over, who sent me out to look for a sick black male, and that is how I discovered this colony, has just called the vet clinic to donate enough to cover the cost of Profender for these cats. She now works in Washington D.C. but still from there, tries to take care of her old home area, helping the stray cats. I think that is outstanding.
Flamepoint male, being fixed today.
Torbi female, being fixed today.
Another torbi female, being fixed today.
Org tab tux male, being neutered today.
One of five manx teens, this one a male, being fixed today.

I went over to a friends' place last night to watch Polar Express. She had cooked up some vegetarian spicy meatballs and some squash pasta, which I thought was good. I had already called the vet clinic to tell them I would wait and see, on bringing in cats today, on the weather. I'd told the brand newly found colony caretaker also, that, weather permitting, I'd be over early, like at 7:30 a.m. this morning, if the weather was ok, to get started on fixing that group.

I startled awake this morning at 8:28 a.m. Yup. Overslept.

Why? Two words. Let's make it three words. Deaf Miss Daisy.

She was on a tear. She slept all day and finally coughed up the irritating hairball.

She felt good last night. She felt so good, she ran in circles atop me on my bed, screaming in delight. Deaf cats. They can't hear themselves. They have no idea their happiness translates to no sleep for anybody else.

All night she was at it, delightedly racing around, jumping atop me in absolute bliss while I moaned and groaned and swore to keep her up all day today.

I must have finally dropped off to sleep. I never heard the alarm.

But, although I woke up at 8:28 a.m. By 9:38 a.m., I was at the vet clinic in Jefferson with six cats. How do you like that?

Four males and two females.

5 comments:

  1. You're amazing. Glad to hear you got out to socialize a bit last night. I hope you can get together with your brothers for Christmas, if that's what you want to do. The holidays can be very lonely and depressing, I know. Even around family, which can sometimes make it even worse. I would rather skip the whole family get together thing. It's such a farce.
    I'm such a Scrooge, sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet you're not a real scrooge. YOu have a nice warm heart and Scrooge didn't. So, sorry, I don't buy that you are a scrooge. Maybe disenchanted with the consumerism fakeness of Christmas and who isn't? The whole family get togethers, I wonder if it would work out better, in the home for the holidays thing, if it included duct tape, over the mouth, cutting off talk but pulling each corner of every mouth into a nice smile, fake or not.
    What do you think? Duct tape for the holidays. Smiles all around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, guess you're right. I should stop complaining. Just gotta deal with it. Thankfully Christmas comes but once a year! and it will be over SOON! Yea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor kitty who didn't make it. I hope at least it means that he will have been saved from a lingering pain and suffering later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let us not forget how even Scrooge had a change of heart in the end....
    Yes, poor kitty.....at least he went peacefully.....

    ReplyDelete

Dog in the Road

 I went to get groceries yesterday morning fairly early. I was expecting visitors, brief ones, pop in and out, so I wanted to get done with ...