Sunday, July 27, 2008

Cabin Fever

I feel like I am dying, suffocating, from confinement, here in Albany. It's like being in a cage I can't escape from.

I am a nature girl, from birth. I do very poorly in places such as this, confined in concrete, nowhere to get away.

I love to swim. It's second nature to me. And yet I can't find anywhere to do that. I used to go at least two or three times a year to Foster Reservoir and swim in the 5 mph arm, although that was difficult, due to the high boat and jet ski traffic. And yet it was something.

This year, the water level has been lowered due to problems with the dam spillway gates, so I doubt it's much for swimming right now. I haven't been up there in ages. It's a long drive and I don't want to waste that kind of gas, if it isn't swimming accessible.

So I don't know what to do or where to go anymore and I'm going crazy confined here. It has been building and building, the loneliness combined with isolation from nature. Until I'm about to break. I can't find anything online. I am very frustrated.

I am looking for a swimmable lake or swimming hole. I know there are swimming holes in places above Green Peter, but I don't like going to that remote area alone. I know about the parties and drug stuff that goes on up there. If I could find someone to go with me, that'd be wonderful, but I don't go that stretch alone.

Other than that, I don't know where to go.

If anyone does, please let me know. I am looking for a swimmable lake or river or swimming hole. I can't travel too far, because of gas prices.

I know, I have to get out of Albany. I sit inside day in and day out. The only people I encounter are those I encounter out helping cats, and its' often not very pleasant encounters or very stressful at the least. I get no exercise, nothing anymore. I've been in extreme doldrums of late due to these factors. There must be places nearby, that one can get away from it all, to swim. I'm going nuts.

3 comments:

  1. I found your blog linked from the Cat Blogosphere blog. My four cats (the Ballicai) all blog. :)

    Anyhow, I just wanted to give you some sympathetic hugs. I'm so sorry you've got cabin fever. I'm a nature girl, too. I hope you can find a wonderful place to swim and be out in nature soon.

    And I just wanted to tell you what a wonderful thing you do, with your kitty rescue efforts. They are such precious, precious souls and I'm so glad that there are good-hearted and loving folks like you in the world.

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi thomma, thanks for stopping by. Yes, I need to get out in nature. Without getting away, I don't feel right. Looks like you live in a beautiful place. I enjoyed your bear photo and bear sign photos. Betty the bear. I just adopted out a very wonderful fierce mother cat named Betty and I miss her and worry about her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Strayer,

    So glad you found Betty a decent place...hope she does better soon now that she has her kitten with her. What a difference you've made to so many lives!

    Gyms are way too expensive for me, and while I too would prefer to walk in nature, something is better than nothing: I've found that walking around the (concrete) blocks by myself in my neighborhood for 15-30 mins a day really does wonders for one's health. I understand that you need nature to feel really good, but since that isn't always possible right now, the walking-round-the-block thing will at least get your body exercise if not your soul :), so don't discount it totally. Stretches at home are great too :).

    ReplyDelete

Trip to Beach

 My Lebanon friend who gets so carsick, said she was going to the coast yesterday, did I want to go too. Of course I did.  She has to drive ...