Thursday, March 13, 2008

Scully Has Come Back

I know this is going to sound nuts. It's nuts to me, too. For the last week at least when I'm in the living room, I hear this raspy hollow meow, like Old Scully's, sounds like it's coming from the kitchen. But I go in the kitchen, and only Gretal is there, staring into the heating vent beneath the kitchen sink cabinet. She's got an obsession with staring in there, especially in the evening.

Tonight when I heard the raspy meows, I ran in there with my flashlight and turned off the lights and laid on my stomach and peered into the vent. I thought 'well maybe a cat somehow got into that vent.' There was nothing in under that cabinet by the hole, where the heat vent comes up. Scully is buried only a foot west of that vent by the Rose in the bed outside the kitchen window.

Isn't that weird? It's probably just coincidence is all. Probably a stray is coming through and howling beneath the window and I just can't see it, because it runs when I look out. I'll set a trap beneath the window first night it doesn't rain and see what's what. That has to be it.

Tomorrow I'll look under the house, to make sure no cat squeezed through the tiny hole we once cut into one outside foundation hole cover wire, so we could replace the outside water faucet.

But I saw the shadow of a cat near the garage door several times this week also. I'd look again and there'd be nothing there. I thought at one point I must have left the garage room door open and one of the cats went through the cat run to the garage room and got out the garage room door into the garage. But they're all accounted for, all the cats.

What's one supposed to do with a ghost cat? Are you supposed to tell them they should cross over or just what? I am unfamiliar with the protocol. It's freaky, ok. Freaky.

I loved Scully very much. I miss her very much. I know she loved it here and I wish she hadn't of died just when she so enjoyed being cradled in my arms. She used to come into the bathroom and want held. She'd almost trip me when I would get home, so anxious to rub against my leg and be petted. This was a far cry from most of her life, which was spent hiding along the river banks in Corvallis. She was warm and loved, slept with the other cats, Solomon and Gretal especially, and often cuddled on the bed against me. She was just wonderfully happy and for her to die in the midst of such joy, oh it tore me up the unfairness.

Did she decide then, that she liked it here so much she'll just stay here? Or what? I don't know a thing about ghosts and all that. I am going to try to record the meowing. The meowing isn't quite right, if you get my drift. It would do well used in a horror flick and this is what kind of freaks me. It sounds like Scully but kind of twisted up horror flick Scully. Raspy and low, like her voice, but dry, hollow and, I'm sorry, but really scary. It will take some getting used to. Maybe it was the dirt or something, I buried her in, in her throat, does that affect a ghost's voice?

Sure, I know how crazy this sounds. I had a ghost cat wake me up several times once before, but not yowling real noisy like this, and it happened years ago, not fresh or even close to it, in my memory. And now this.

Well, I bet it's a stray just outside the window by the garage door. I see it's shadow sometimes inside when the light is just right and the garage door is cracked. I bet that's it. A new stray.

But if it's Old Scully looking for an extended life after death here, you know, I'll just have to adjust. She's welcome. Living or dead I love her and she's welcome.

3 comments:

  1. Ghost cats are always welcome...my old Punkin sometimes lays down with me in the middle of the night. I don't know why they'd want to leave heaven tho, and we all know animals are automatically welcomed into heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought they went to the Bridge but maybe she really feels you need her? I don't know. I do have a friend, a reputable scientist who goes out to tape ghosts and I am going to ask her about this. I'd tape it and see if there are any like this friend of mine (who works in NY). But I bet it is her even if it scary - I HAVE heard of this before. Never experienced it though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some woman in Portland had a cool set up for ferals. One died. Shortly afterwards, she took photos of her colony and there is the cat, who had died, kind of fadey looking but right there. Her photo astounded even her and is now featured in a book about ghost cats and other ghost books. It was the same sort of thing, a cat who had had a very very hard life and their place, their love, like paradise for him and death was going to make him leave his life of love belonging.

    ReplyDelete

Trip to Beach

 My Lebanon friend who gets so carsick, said she was going to the coast yesterday, did I want to go too. Of course I did.  She has to drive ...