Monday, January 22, 2018

Onward, More Cats Fixed

I had hoped Jade would be home with me now, recovering from eye removal surgery.   I had appointments scheduled for today at the spay neuter clinic in Salem at the humane society. 

I rounded the cats up yesterday as I would have, if she'd been home, snuggled in fuzzy blankets on a heating pad, getting treats and pain meds and recovering.

The day I was at the coast, with Jade and Stormy, I had enjoyed watching the waves at the beach.  The weather was windy at times, rainy at times, and sometimes clear.  Sometimes the sky would darken like a thunderstorm would pass over, but then there was no thunderstorm.  



I watched otters dive for fish from a view point at the Hammond boat basin too.


I got home much earlier than I usually do from coast trips.  I already had the two kittens from the Brownsville colony in a metal holding cage inside the foster cage.  They're very wild kittens.  The couple feeding them had traps set for the mom and for the male cat.   By Saturday night, they had caught the mom, and by Sunday they also caught Kremlin, as I named him, the big black tux long hair male.   He is very sweet, actually and let me pet him inside the trap.
Keta, one of the two kittens

Sockeye, also being fixed today.  I named Keta and Sockeye after two species of Oregon salmon.

Kremlin, the big black tux male.

Black Dahlia, Keta and Sockeye's mom and also being fixed today.

I went up yesterday afternoon to Mountain Shadows.  I was only going to pick up the Siamese boy.  He needs fixed and the person who feeds him is moving.  She has a home lined up for him, but wanted him fixed first.  But then the two women who have been helping cats there told me they also had a female the moving neighbor feeds.  I was going to have, as the sixth cat, the last kitten from the Sodaville Road colony.  But I cancelled with them, and took the Mountain Shadows female instead.  Because the feeder of these two is moving, they need fixed so they can find homes as a higher priority than getting the kitten done from Sodaville.  At least that's how I figured it anyhow.

Big Boy

Mama Cat
Diana from Brownsville also had six reservations today.  I brought two of the cats she had lined up to fill hers back with me last night from her place since she hadn't a place to hold that many.   One was a little gray boy kitten, the last kitten from a house on a street down there needing fixed.   I think Diana has gotten about 8 or 9 cats from that house fixed.  All are fixed now.  Then the other boy I held was another from the stables out near Brownsville.  He was apparently dumped and someone tried to neuter him by putting a rubber band around his balls, but it's still on there and probably has hurt like the dickens for months.  Banding is torture for male cats.
This is Four, the little boy kitten, being fixed today.

Tonka, the cat abandoned at a horse stable, with rubber bands around his balls.  

Then Diana came up this morning with four others to go be fixed.  All four are tame kittens, but were born outside, in a barn.   We put them in the car with the other 8 cats and took all 12 up to be fixed.

I will leave you with a couple of photos of cats here.

Tilly

Misty, with relative Cougie behind her

5 comments:

  1. You saw otters???? How amazing.
    And, as always, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are fairly common in the rivers here in Oregon. I see a lot of otters, believe it or not.

      Delete
  2. Awesome photos and footage. Thank you for sharing. I lament living in a state so far from the ocean. The Little Miami River is close, at least, though I'm not going to see an otter.

    Thank you for performing triage like this. I don't envy the decisions you must make. Already sad about Jade, it made me want to vomit reading about rubber bands on a cat. ~shudder~ What is wrong with people? I'd like something similar done to that monster of a so-called human being.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are river otters not sea otters although we have those too, more common in the kelp banks off the southern Oregon coast than the northern and central coasts however. (I think). River otters are a common sight in Oregon, relatively speaking. Banding cats, yes that takes a special kind of sick cheapo. It's also against the law, covered under practising medicine without a license and animal cruelty. Not to mention dumping the cats too. (a set of banded testicles from another male, most likely his brother, was found on a hay bale there, but these cats showed up awhile back and the stable owner is a nice guy who didn't do it)

      Delete
    2. I am daily aware of how lucky I am to live within driving distance of both the ocean and the mountains.

      Delete

Dog in the Road

 I went to get groceries yesterday morning fairly early. I was expecting visitors, brief ones, pop in and out, so I wanted to get done with ...