Friday, December 15, 2017

Saga of the Broken Dryer

I loved my old Admiral Dryer.  There was nothing not to love about it.

Eleven years we've had a relationship.  I expect to work and it has.  Mostly.

But then it didn't.  I bought parts online and replaced bad parts but it still scraped away when the drum turned.  Then the dilemma.  Do I buy more parts, when one bracket is $20 online plus shipping and takes days to arrive?

I checked into repair costs at appliance repair shops but when I found out an old dryer costs more to repair than a new dryer costs I decided against that option too.

I then began a search for a used dryer.  My search included craigslist and facebook marketplace.

Some of the used dryers I looked at had obviously been sitting out for some time.  "Sure, it works great but no, I don't have anywhere you can plug it in to check.  Take my word for it."  Sure thing buddy.  Not!!!

I finally went to the Habitat for Humanity Restore. It's a thrift store, that specializes in construction materials, appliances and tools of all sorts. Restores are run by a combo of paid staff and volunteers.  Their entire stock of goods for sale is donated by people who don't want the materials or items anymore. 

I got assured they test all the dryers before putting them on the floor to sell.  They get them donated by people who don't want them anymore.   Why do people usually not want a dryer, I thought to myself, cynically.  Because they don't work. And they don't want to take it to the dump because it costs money.

But Habitat folks reassured me they test them all to make sure they do work.

So I laid out cold cash, too much in my opinion, for a used dryer.   It had no feet on it either and no cord.  I have a cord however on my old dryer.

I went and bought some knobs at Lowes, that were not made for dryer feet but they'd work.  I laid the dryer on its side and screwed those in.  I pulled the old dryer out of the bathroom and took off the cord, which took some time, then I attached the cord onto the Habitat dryer I had laboriously maneuvered out of the car, into the garage, up the steps and into the house.

Then, it took me 40 minutes to wrestle the darn vent onto the back of the Habitat dryer.  What a pain.  I hate dryer vent tubes.  HATE THEM!

Then, excited, expectant, I turned the dryer on.

And this is how that went.....



I sent the video to a friend, who was disgusted and said she'd take me to get a new dryer tomorrow and I said OK and I'd pay her back, put it on my bill, because I still owe her on the loan for the car.  I was ready to do it though.   Until I sent the video to my younger brother.  He and his wife watched it together.  Then he called me with her in the background saying "we're getting you a dryer for Christmas".  And they did.  They called up Lowes, paid for it online, and I went and picked it up.

I sat there, dirty and worn out, with the new dryer in a cardboard box in the back of my car, crying.  It just made me so happy and relieved.

In the back of my mind, I was thinking, "This is way too easy, something will go wrong."

I'm not used to easy.

Then I uninstalled the screaming machine from Habitat.  I'll take it back tomorrow. I unplugged it. I took off the cord again. The three kittens left in the bathroom, including Copper, watched, not knowing what to think by now.

  I laboriously maneuvered the new dryer in the box out of the back of the car, into the garage, and shoved it up the steps and through the door into the house.  I ripped off the cardboard box from around it like a 3 year old rips wrapping paper off a present at Christmas.

I installed the cord to the back.  I laid it on its side and wrenched in the leveling legs.  I slid it past the Habitat screaming machine and through the door into the bathroom, where it took me 30 minutes to attach the damn vent tube.  I HATE THEM!

I plugged it in and turned it on.  Ahhhhhh, it purred like the kittens, who were now actually stress purring as they watched the third dryer today enter their space.  I threw some still wet cat beds into the dryer and cheered to myself when they came out dry ten minutes later.

I carelessly shoved the Habitat Screaming machine to the door to the garage, lowered it, step by step to the garage floor and slid it over beside the old Admiral.  Tomorrow I'll remove the knobs I bought for legs then slide it out to the back of the car, tip it into the back, push it the rest of the way in and go get my money back.  Maybe I'll tell them off for not really checking to see that they work and maybe I won't.

Then I'll stop at the recycle center and dump off the pieces that were the new dryer's cardboard box in the cardboard bin.   Then I'll come home and slide the old Admiral out of the garage, tip it into the back, push it in the rest of the way and head to the metal recycler where it will garner no doubt maybe a dollar in scrap value.

And finally then, yes indeed, the broken dryer saga will be history.

I hope.

Best Christmas present EVER!!


11 comments:

  1. I am thrilled that you have a new dryer. And disgusted at the people who said they had tested the screamer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:43 AM

    Well, yes and no. Generally here is someone tells you something works, it will. But maybe there is a problem with it. If our washer or dryer breaks down, we will replace both with one unit, so there will be a good working washer or dryer, wherever they end up.

    Now, as if poor people don't struggle enough, places like where the dryer came from make their lives even harder.

    I'm afraid I don't understand the installing of cords at all?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone probably brought that to donate, rather than take it to the metal recycler or a broken appliance shop, and lied to them, told them it worked just fine, and they probably believed that person enough that they did not even test it. Dryers take a lot of current, so they have heavy duty cords with huge three or four pronged inserts to an outlet. On the end that goes to the dryer, they have three or four connectors. You have to take off a little metal panel, and unscrew each of three or four connections, place the correct dryer cord connector in that spot and put the screw back on to hold it there. Usually you must also put the cord through a metal support, that hangs off that little panel, to further support the heavy cord, so it doesn't pull out of the connections or be cut on the sharp metal edge. You buy the cord and the cord support yourself, if you don't have one. It's not a quick thing, not for me, with my bad close up eyes and poor tools.

      Delete
  3. You don't do easy very much, do you? Enjoy your new dryer. And BTW, you must be really strong to carry a dryer. Another one of your superpowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't carry the dryers, they slide so easy on vinyl and cement floor. I just have to tilt them to put into the back of my car, and to get up the stairs, get them a few inches up on one side. I'm exhausted though today, slept til 10:00 a.m. And I am sore.

      Delete
  4. Oh, wow. What a gift. ~hugs~ I'm sorry for your struggles. Having been told that our washer and dryer are made better than the current appliances produced, I'm trying to be gentle with the units. They're almost a quarter of a century old! Hopefully this one will serve you well.

    Good guess on my silly blog post. The tool creates a pin prick that makes eggs easier to peel after cooked in boiling water. I was skeptical but it works well, letting water get between the shell and inner membrane.

    Be well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a GREAT gift! The Maytag washer I got used on craigslist after mine quit has been wonderful for years now and was old to begin with. I've heard the same about modern appliances that they don't last. I look for something simple with as few add ons as possible because I think they last longer and are cheaper to fix if they do break down. As for my guess on that single use tool, it was a wild guess, and I've never even heard of such a thing. Post a video on how it works!

      Delete
  5. You should get many years of use out of your new dryer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have to tell them off. They shouldn’t be selling stuff that doesn’t work. If they get a bad reputation no one will buy there things and they won’t raise funds that are needed
    I’m so glad you finally got a dryer that works
    Snowbrush sent me xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would complain to everyone in any position of power from the local to the national at Habitat. However, I must confess that I've done that twice in regard to other organizations, and nothing came of it. The first time was when I wrote to everyone in the Southern Baptist Convention who was above the preacher who for no good reason (the truth being that he was moving to another church, and no longer cared about the people at his old church) had his wife call at the last minute and cancel his appearance at Peggy's mother's funeral (Peggy's parents being lifelong, tithing Baptists), and all those good Christians utterly ignored me. The second time was when I felt abused by a store manager at Goodwill, and wrote to everyone who was above her, and they also ignored me. You clearly deserve more than your money back, and it's also true that, to some small extent, Habitat's reputation is on the line here because you certainly could trash them all over the Internet, which is just what I would do. It would give me but a small satisfaction, but small is better than none.

    ReplyDelete

Ten Extras

 I have ten extra cats in my garage. Nine are in traps, just brought over from the Scravel colony.    They are almost all orange tabbies, wi...