Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Trip North

With all the excitement of the Eclipse over and done with, I had to get back to the usual.

Tuesday I took two more cats, both boys, from the School Road colony to be fixed in Salem after getting some windfall reservations.  I call them Star and Gemini.  They're really starved, but probably due to parasites.

Star, Fixed Tuesday in Salem, and he will return to the colony

Gemini, a little male, skinny, scared, now fixed.  He will return with Star, to the colony.  The guy wants two fixed black and white cats back.

Clementine went home too on Tuesday and I took Twinkie to his new person, which was bitter sweet.  Love that little guy.

Twinkie in the car.   Oh I miss you already.


I had hoped the couple trapping their friends colony would magically catch all those left, so they could be fixed today, in my trip to the FCCO, with Rastus and Glory, the two colony cats who had been in my garage almost a week waiting for spay neuter space.

They did catch three more:  a little black tux, a big gray tux and a big black tux.  But I guess there is at least one more out there who needs caught.  maybe more I don't know.   We're up to 24 caught now there, including the kittens.

This morning, I left with the five at 6:30 and headed to Portland with them.  They were picked up by the friend who places barn cats, so I just registered them and left.   I'll be short on traps until I can get those five the cats were in back.  Probably won't happen soon however.


This is Glory, one of the two who spent a week in my garage



This is Rastus, the other cat who spent a week in my garage.  I didn't name the other three.

This poor little thing wasn't much more than a kitten.
I have a couple of kittens in the bathroom right now, to be fixed tomorrow at Heartland.  They said both were girls but I can see that one is for sure a boy.  The other was so nice in the car but turned into a little demon once in the bathroom so I am NOT checking sex on that one tonight.  I just hope I can coral him or her into a carrier in the morning without blood being spilled---mine.

They're just scared, being whisked away from home and everything familiar, scared of what's to happen, scared of the smells and sounds, just scared.  I don't blame them.

I saw my brother and his wife while I was up there in Portland.  I drove right over to their house as they had said I could.  They are moving for good in a week.  They've been back and forth for awhile now.  They're moving to Boise of all places, sold their house already so there wasn't much left of their house, as everything is packed away in boxes.  They still have their TV set up and since both were still working, (they work at home), I started watching Game of Thrones, while killing time until they were off for lunch.  They have all these streaming channels.  I've never seen the like.  About five remotes too, so I made my brother work the remotes to put something on so I didn't mess their system.  After watching most of one episode my brother came back in and I said, "let's forget going to lunch and just binge watch all 7 seasons of Game of Thrones."  Only take about ten hours straight I guess.  I think he was slightly interested.

Ha.

Off we went to some nearby food carts for lunch.  I had something with rice, Tofu and something else, wasn't very good.  My brother and his wife got burritos from some other cart and didn't think it was good either.   So we went for ice cream before they had to return to work.  But I had to leave then so they could get back to work.  They're really busy people, especially in the middle of a move like they are.  Exhausting, they said, the move.

I'd gotten up too early again and became sleepy driving so I pulled off and slept awhile in my car, was asleep in minutes.   Woke an hour later, trying to figure out where I was at first.

Well anyhow, another five cats fixed.  No they don't get to go home and they all just want to go home.  It's so hard on them when they can't.  Really hard and hard for me to not think about that and feel for them.

8 comments:

  1. Some days it would be wonderful to be able to explain that despite being frightened it IS for their own good.
    Thank you for all you do.
    Great that you got to see your brother before they move too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, nice to see them before they're off for parts unknown

      Delete
  2. Anonymous4:13 AM

    Barn yard cats are interesting. While I immediately understood what they are, I think it might be quite a contented life for a cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the transition period that is difficult on them and often fatal. Many try to make it back home, even though it may be dozens or hundreds of miles.

      Delete
  3. This post made me smile (over all the good you've done - amazing!), glad you got to see your brother and sis-in-law, laugh (over the Game of Thrones - I've not seen a single episode of GoT), and sad for the cats who won't go home. I like to believe they regain their confidence etc. and thrive in their new location (however naive I may be). Be well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to believe the same thing, about the cats, in their new situations. All I can do. Well I hadn't seen any GoT til part of one episode up there. It is mighty violent and crude, that's for sure.

      Delete
  4. I'm one of the few people who hasn't seen or read Game of Thrones. Did you like it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only saw part of one episode. There are seven seasons of it I hear, or more. So I only saw a fraction of the total series.

      Delete

Trip to Beach

 My Lebanon friend who gets so carsick, said she was going to the coast yesterday, did I want to go too. Of course I did.  She has to drive ...