Tuesday, April 05, 2016

D is For Deaf and Daisy

Another A to Z blog challenge post.  Today is D Day!

Nope, not an invasion.

Just a little something about my baby, Deaf Miss Daisy.

The cat.

Which is a C word.

Yesterday, I left at 4:00 a.m. on a three hour drive with Deaf Miss Daisy and her best buddy Slurpy.  Off to the north coast and the affordable clinic.  We don't have affordable vet care in the mid valley.  A dental cleaning can cost over $600, add on several extractions and the price goes even higher.

So I search out more affordable options and just do it.

If I worry over my car and it's 300,000 miles, at the clinic I saw a car that lacked most of its rear passenger door.  Only the inside of the shell remained and an old board covered what used to be its window.  This clinic is adored by those of us who struggle to survive but also want to care for our animals.

Miss D was not bothered by the car drive at all.  Rain pelted us most of the way, sometimes driving rain.

But the weather had cleared up some by the time we arrived at the clinic, a few minutes early.  I let Miss D out of the carrier to stretch her legs.


Miss Daisy is somewhere over 15 now.  She was dumped along a country road back in 2002.  A farmer found her in a ditch sound asleep, burns on her paw pads from padding along the seering hot pavement.  It was 105 out. I'd already gotten over 200 cats fixed at his warehouses.   He called me up and said "I found another one, can you come get her?"  I did.  I couldn't find her a home.  She was so loud!!! I discovered she was deaf.

Miss D sleeps across my face and acts as my personal alarm clock.  She has many many friends here, but Slurpy, who also went along yesterday, is one of her best buddies.  Slurpy is a seven year old kind hearted torti who came from a very very dire situation.

Slurpy had six teeth pulled and Miss Daisy had her last five teeth pulled.  They were all soft in the tissue the vet said and came out without much trouble, even the canines, which can be difficult to pull.  She'd been clawing something awful at the sides of her mouth.

So D is for the lovely loud exuberant and optimistic Deaf Miss Daisy.  She is a joy!

D is for Deaf and Daisy!

What follows is a Miss D youtube playlist.......enjoy!

15 comments:

  1. Bless Miss Daisy. And I must ask, how did Slurpy get this name? I can't help thinking of my dilute torti named Tilly who makes slurping sounds sometimes after eating. ~grin~ She really enjoys food.
    Awakening Dreams and Conquering Nightmares with a Pen
    I’m really enjoying my little focus on music this month. Be well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She had chronic herpes like all the cats and kittens in that colony. I called it the Save the Kittens colony and took out about 2 dozen kittens, most sick, many with ringworm. Slurpy went to Heartland but became sick again there, and was returned to me. So she got her name because for the first year of her life she battled chronic upper respiratory illnesses that made her sound "slurpy" all the time. She has long since overcome them. I love your themed approach to the A to Z. I didn't plan ahead to do a theme, but maybe next year.

      Delete
    2. I'm just glad you've joined in! Everyone needs to read of your good works. Thank you for the kind word. It's good to know Slurpy got so much better.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous11:20 AM

    What precious ladies you have there. Our Chloe Jo has the nickname of Slurpie Jo. She was a bottle fed baby (by me). To this day, she like to slurpy whoever will let her: faces, hands, herself while you pet her, and her favourite friend, Stella, her dog. She is very loud when she slurps, too. I am enjoying your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are precious. Oh the bottle babes, so hard to ever give up to adoption. Thanks so much for coming by McGuffy.

      Delete
  3. You have shown Miss Daisy before and she reminds me of our Lucy who we lost in December. The video was a lot of fun. Miss Daisy could be come a Youtube star if she stars in many more of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My brother claims he will vote for her for President. Me too, most likely.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous2:22 PM

    The video is funny, but for me only two words come to mind, bugger orf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can hear you saying that. Talking to or yelling at a deaf cat, while cathartic, is useless.

      Delete
  5. Delightful.
    D is for Dentistry too. And Drive. And none of our cats have ever enjoyed the car.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucky Miss Daisy.... all cats should be so fortunate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had a great life together. I love her dearly and its hard to believe she's so old now.

      Delete
  7. Miss Daisy truly only walks and bats as an alarm? No meowing? Our cat Pepper finds the noisy method much more effective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe because she's deaf she hasn't resorted to screaming, instead of "the claw". She allows one claw to extend and will slowly draw it down the side of my face. Very effective.

      Delete

Dashing

 Got a message this morning.  Was I even really awake yet?   The weather has been really winterish, with winds, pouring rain, cold, even thu...