Thursday, March 03, 2016

More Cats in Trouble

Last night, I trapped Astro, a big white male, abandoned with others in Albany, when someone was foreclosed on.  According to neighbors, the foreclosure people took off in the middle of the night leaving lots of things, including their cats.  The house is now up for sale and there are a couple of teen cats living under it so there is some urgency in getting them trapped and out of there.

They have been fed up in the yard of another abandoned house that seems to be falling apart, but someone may be trying to buy the place.  It will need bulldozed, and something else built, I imagine.  It's a wreck, a hazard.  I caught just one of the in trouble cats last night.  Wasn't raining when I went to trap, but within five minutes, it was down pouring.  Fortunately, I caught Astro within one minute of setting a trap.

I waited around and around, then went to check the trap, despite the downpour, already soaking wet, and stupidly locked my keys in my car.   Gosh darn.  And I was already dripping wet too.  But a neighbor there let me sit in her house until  my friend arrived to take me home to get my spare car keys.  All turned out ok.


Astro, the big white male, turned out to be tame.  He was quite dirty from living under the falling apart house and had some bite wounds, from fighting.  But Heartland Humane agreed to take him in and find him a new home.  Thank you Heartland.  There are other cats over there needing help.

Then I was informed of another cat in trouble on the same street, only a few blocks away.   The apartment building is being condemned for lack of repairs and a guy living there had rescued a cat and his agitation over impending eviction was being taken out on the cat, sadly, whom he wanted gone.

I went and got her.  As I knocked, I heard him yell at her, threatening to "slit her fucking throat".   He nearly cried when I took her.  He understood he couldn't handle it. I had him sign a release form.   I told him he was doing the right thing, giving her over.  He doesn't know where he'll go when forced to move.   He's so poor, and lives in what I would call a single room dump, with communal kitchen and bath, that is being condemned because in part, bad electrical,  There's been no hot water there for at least a week for showers or anything else.

I told him about the Lebanon apartments where I'd just helped the couple out with cats who had moved out of one of them.  They are far nicer, and go for over a hundred less.  He pays an outrageous price for a tiny room at that shithole now.  Over $500 a month.  It's criminal.


Above is Misty, the cat he signed over and she's a torti point Siamese teenager and seriously in heat.

KATA took her in, thank goodness.

So two cats may get a lot better chance at a good life.  Astro and Misty, good luck to both of you.

13 comments:

  1. The cats and that guy may get a better chance at a good life. So thank you on their behalf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope he and the other tenants in that shithole find a much better place. Low cost affordable housing is an endangered species now in much of Oregon. It's very tragic.

      Delete
  2. I hope that that guy gets some help soon. At least he had it enough together to know that he needed to give the cat away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I told him that, that he had helped her by getting her away from the drug people, and now was helping her again, when he knew he couldn't handle her care.

      Delete
  3. Handling a cat in heat requires a great deal of patience; something in short supply when under as much stress as that man is... kudos to him for seeking help; bigger kudos to you for helping both cat and man.

    Both of the cats and the man, as well, may well have better lives because of you. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And in a room that measure about ten by 20 too and under a threat of imminent eviction. Too much.

      Delete
  4. What a sorry situation.... for all. Hope their lives get turned around to the better. Stands a chance with all you do to help. I'm thankful for folks like you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:23 PM

    It sounds like the cats will be ok. I hope he is too. Rich countries must look after their less fortunate citizens much better than they do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they're a lucky pair, both in good hands.

      Delete
  6. Have you forgiven me yet? Would you like to be friends again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, yay, whoopee, whoopee! I've missed you, and I really and truly with all my heart can say to you that I meant no offense, and if I ever do forward you anything again, it won’t be even vaguely like the forwarding that caused the problem. You put up with so much from cats because you trust that they don’t mean you any harm, and in this instance, I was like one of those cats. You must believe that because you surely know enough of my heart to know that, where you’re concerned, it’s in the right place.

      Delete
  7. I know Snow. I have my own issues. Don't we all.

    ReplyDelete

Round Up

Today is cat round up for tomorrow's five spots.  Two more came up from the vet student in Harrisburg late this morning.  Over 60 fixed ...