Saturday, November 28, 2015

It's Freezing!

Last night it got down to near 20 degrees and tonight its supposed to be even colder.

I'm freezing, with two space heaters going.

Guess I'm getting soft.  The house has turned into a giant ice box.  Store your perishables here!

I let the faucets drip last night. The pipes didn't freeze.  But tonight, I can feel the floor through my socks and it is ice cold, which means it is ice cold under the house too, where the pipes run.

My old cats are my biggest concern, but I have 3 heating frisbees and old Vision gets two of those three.

I slept ok last night, with several cats around me and also trying to get under the blankets next to me because it was so darn cold.  The only part of me that got cold---my nose, just like when I used to sleep out under the stars in Alaska.  Back then, I'd wrap a scarf over my nose.  Keeps me all around warmer, with my nose covered and warm, because then I'm breathing in warmer air too.  Tonight, I'll do the same here.  I used an R.E.I. sleeping bag rated to minus 55 when I was in Alaska.  I kept that darn bag, even though the zipper is long gone.  Nostalgia I guess.  Maybe I should haul it out.  It's never been suitable for camping here in Oregon.  Too hot!

The wild thing male in my garage is now enjoying the creature comforts of heat and lots of food.  Guess he decided its not all that bad. Took a bit of persuasion that included piping hot tuna and catnip.  Course Sam is not at all happy about his presence.  My totally insecure boy.  But that's one reason why I had to get this big guy fixed once I spotted him in my yard.  Sam goes nuts when an unfixed male is roaming through. Will take a month or so after he's neutered for him not to smell like an unfixed big boy.

I covered some of the windows today.  Only have (hopefully) tonight and tomorrow night to endure.  I hope Monday they find a replacement motor for the furnace.  Crossing fingers and frozen toes.

I'd sure hate to be homeless in such weather.   At least, when it rains, its warmer.  I think about all the animals out there freezing in this.

Last night, tonight and tomorrow night are the coldest nights we've had this year.  Then by Monday night, the temp is predicted to fall only to 33 degrees.   By Monday night, with any luck, my furnace will work again.   Why in the world does the thing break down, from age, during the coldest nights of the year?   That just seems cruel.  But we will endure here.  No biggee.

10 comments:

  1. Fingers and toes crossed that you are all basking in the warmth as early as possible on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds so nice "basking in warmth". How does that song go, "you don't know what you got til its gone"

      Delete
  2. Anonymous3:22 AM

    I seem to recall 32F is freezing point, so 0 degrees in our money. 20F must be pretty cold. While we can get a temperature near freezing on a clear windless winter night, inside our place the lowest I have seen in the morning is about 45F. It might drop to 40F if the heating had not been on for successive days, like when we return from holidays. The thermal mass of this building keeps it warmish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 19F this morning here. That's -7.2222 C.

      I've lived in apartment buildings. So nice because the heat from all the surrounding units made it so I never had to or rarely had to turn on heat.

      Delete
  3. Murphy's Law.... I should quit complaining about the 30-40's were having here after reading of your plight. Hope it warms up there soon... and your furnace is fixed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Warm wishes (literally) to you, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Darla, only today and tonight then hopefully tomorrow the part will be found and it can be fixed.

      Delete
  5. Thank goodness for snuggling cats. I've got my fingers crossed that everything will be fixed tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, very nice to have cats on my face and Miss Daisy likes to sleep across my face, just what I need when the house has turned into an ice box.

      Delete

Round Up

Today is cat round up for tomorrow's five spots.  Two more came up from the vet student in Harrisburg late this morning.  Over 60 fixed ...