Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Back to VV


VV deer munching VV pears.

Two kittens, now caught and here, a gray fixed female and a fixed Siamese female bask in the sun.Fixed torbi eyes me.
Orange and white male kitten. Kenji's brother.

One of two Siamese kittens, both males, both weight grade for neuter.
Black male kitten with his brother, the tiny orange and white, behind him.
Big eyed big eared torti kitten.
The torti kitten.
Black male kitten, now here, and his sister, a torti, in the gravel.
Black male kitten again.

I am taking another load of cats to be fixed in a couple days. The round up begins, although this time, I lowered my expectation of numbers I can take. I made reservations for ten cats to be fixed. I have so far secured no donations to help pay for my gas, which is worrisome.

I went back up to the VV colony. I thought they had seven more kittens needing fixed. I knew three should be of weight, since I caught and weighed them a few weeks back and they were a few oz's shy of two pounds.

I caught the short hair and long hair Siamese kittens, using the drop trap, then slipping my net under the edge and netting both.

They're both boys and not that wild. Too bad they have to go back there.

Pepper and Kenji had four siblings. However, only three are still alive. The solid gray female kitten is missing in action. The three left alive in that litter are a tiny orange and white, who was as frail when I first saw them as Kenji, and I should have taken him then, along with the blue girl, who is now most likely deceased.

There is a black male and a torti. I snuck up behind the black male kitten, reached down and scruffed him before he knew what hit him. He wasn't happy and fought like the dickens, swinging his back legs around trying to snag me. But he didn't. I weighed him in the couple's utility room and he was weight grade--a keeper.

I also netted two other tabby on white kittens, both boys. They were born to the cat they call Psycho Mom. I got her fixed and the woman showed me her kittens, two of them, but after she came back from being fixed, she took off into the brush with them. But she brought them back. Both boys were almost half a pound shy of weight grade for neuter. I wormed them and flea treated them and let them go.One of the two tabby on white boys, both underweight for neuter.

I grabbed the little orange and white boy too, knowing he was way under weight for neuter. I wanted to roundworm him and flea treat him, so I did that.

I didn't grab the torti. I figured she is probably borderline on the two pound mark.

I did drop trap the third kitten in the older litter, with the other two being Siamese. That one also is a boy and should be much bigger than he is. He'll make the two pound grade, however.

When I arrived, there were deer again roaming the property consuming pears from their trees. I snapped a photo of one deer and when I looked at it, here, on my PC, I see the unfixed ragged ear gray male is sneaking by. Wish I'd caught him. He's the only unfixed adult still up there. There are several all gray cats, but he can be distinguished because of tears on the borders of both ears. Plus, he has no ear tip!That's him, the unfixed gray male, there slinking by on the right.

Well, four more VV colony cats will get fixed, with four kittens and a blue male to go.

Of these last nine needing fixed from the VV, 8 of them kittens, there is only one female, the torti.

That's all it takes, however.

Getting these last VV cats fixed feels good. The VV colony story is a triumph, for me, for the cats and for the couple who care for those cats.

I brought coccidia in. Probably on my shoes, when I did the exhaustion very old woman colony. I suspected the bottle babes had coccidia with that bright yellow diarrhea, but that can also be a sign of over feeding.

I suspected after seeing the bottle babes diarrhea, when that woman brought two here, when I made that vet appointment that she didn't keep, that would be the reason kittens don't survive there. After that, the very day that Pepper and Kenji got a home, they became suddenly lethargic with diarrhea. Then, Rumby got it, far worse than I've seen a teen get the constant dripping yellow diarrhea. I have some Albon but not much. I have to get my hands on more. Takes 21 days of treatment with Albon. He's isolated now. So far Pebbles doesn't have it.

I have long suspected Valentino of coccidia. It's really hard to get a stool sample when coccidia is being shed, for diagnosis and some vets, including the two who saw him, wouldn't go by that yucky disgusting smell and color, the orange or yellow with the high stink factor.

Maybe it's a money maker, the stool sample thing, considering coccidia stages make hitting the right stage when shedding occurs akin to the biblical getting a camel through the eye of a needle.

Valentino needs 21 days on Albon, I am convinced, which I believe will take care of a lot of his bloaty gassy stinky yellow poo on occasion issues. But how to get him on that and get the Albon, and more for little Rumby, without breaking the bank, which is already badly broken in my case.

There's no money out there to help rescued cats see a vet and if they're not well, they can't get homes.

In the meantime, I need to go back to my old methods. I failed, let things slip mostly due to exhaustion, didn't practice my usual clean routine thing, of dousing my rubber sandals in a bucket of water with clorox, once home, from these disgusting places, with cat poop everywhere, like the old woman's yard, like the VV colony yard and never wearing them, nor the clothes I wore there, inside, but plastic bagging my clothes and dumping them directly into the washer.

The other thing I used to do always, was to spray my shoes, feet and sandals with disinfectant off and on, even while still at the colony. I need disposable clothes and shoes!

These are nasty places I go. Shoes and clothes carry everything from where you've been, back home to infect you and yours.

I can't let exhaustion be my excuse anymore. I've taken in kittens from some terrible places. Unfortunately, they bring with them some really yucky stuff.

I'm a zero budget cat wrangler and sometimes kitten rescuer. When I say zero budget, I mean ZERO budget. I do o.k. for the cats, for having zilch.

I'll tell you what though, there is nothing right I can do in this neighborhood where I live. I understand now why someone warned me people in cul de sacs go crazy or kill themselves at far higher rates than people who live in the burbs but not in a cul de sac. I want out of here. Until I get out of here, I'm working on some stories featuring life on the sac.

Ah well, as for coccidia, they're parasites. I'll kill them. Somehow--if that is what's going through Rumby's tummy, and maybe Val's. It'll all be good in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dashing

 Got a message this morning.  Was I even really awake yet?   The weather has been really winterish, with winds, pouring rain, cold, even thu...