Sunday, April 24, 2011

Menopause

For the last three weeks, I have been under seige. With what, you might ask.

Menocrap, that's what. Symptoms roared into life three weeks ago. They are not fun. They include, but are not limited to: insomnia, constipation, hot flashes, fits of emotion, ranging from sadness to irritibility. My skin will get a rubbery feel.

Movies that might not otherwise cause me to blink will leave me reaching for a kleenex at such times and leave me choking with hiccupy heaving sobs.

I only drink one cup of coffee each morning, but coffee can make things worse. So can chocolate. And it's Easter, the season of chocolate! This time, at least, I didn't get the flush of dazed thinking, which has before come with these periods of menopausal crap.

I tell people at least I don't need a coat!

I know someone who is a big time believer in estrogen pills, but I don't want to go there. She couldn't take the hot flashes or irritibility or sleep disruptions so she has taken those for years.

My brother once confided to me he is very glad he was not born a woman after seeing what his wife goes through with menopause. Sometimes she gets so hot, he can't be in the same bed with her.

I went through surgical menopause a few years back. I thought that would exempt me from the symptoms somewhat. When I asked the doctor a couple years ago why I still get menopausal symptoms after a hysterectomy he said that only makes them worse. What?

Menopausal symptoms come from hormonal imbalances and decreasing production of hormones. That is what I'm told. What I know is I get periodic symptoms, now only a few times a year and that the symtpoms when I get them, last a month to two months, with varying intensity during that time.

So, watch out, people, I'm in hot flash mode.

On the good news side, the small Marian county rescue, that took in three cats from me: Zuli, Willow and Brighty, were able to adopt out two of those cats so far, Willow and Zuli.

Now, they're going to take in Dickens.

I am down on my knees grateful for their help.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Round Up

Today is cat round up for tomorrow's five spots.  Two more came up from the vet student in Harrisburg late this morning.  Over 60 fixed ...