Monday, August 17, 2009

Done

I've been trying to tie up loose ends of colonies. In so doing, I have really sealed my decision to scale way down. The collector situation just keeps on giving, headaches that is, expense, work, frazzledness, a word I just invented.

The cat I thought was Babe, the one the collector said she would take that was already fixed, was actually the right age, color but pregnant. The collector doesn't answer her phone, voice message box full.

I can't take on more like this. I'm done with it. I feel bad for the cats still out there. But nobody else will get involved, except KATA, and there has been only one small donation. There is no way to absorb all these costs without donations or compelled donations from the collector or the company who bought the house.

And now, more and more people are calling. Even from Eugene. Wanting me to be their slave.

Someone left a message that was garbled due to answering machine buzz, but it was something about them having some starving kittens, and something about the kitten harvest being low in some area, and she'd like to trap the kittens and take them wherever that was, with the low kitten harvest. That was the gist of the message, but it was hard to understand most of it, due to the answering machine problem. I did leave her a message. I said, "If you have starving kittens, feed them."

I won't be returning the Eugene call. I don't have long distance. I buy long distance cards. I am not going to waste my minutes calling Eugene.

So all these events, people asking for more help, with things they could do, despite knowing I'm broke and exhausted, have helped me realize I need to quit completely.

As I said, I've been tying up loose ends, with colonies or situations I started and that will be the end of it.

10 comments:

  1. Eugene called? Wow! I guess they don't like Greenhill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Eugene caller wanted to know what "my company" could provide her, if I would loan her traps or what and what else I would provide. I'm not returning the call, but will send her number to a Eugene group.

    I got a call from Eugene the other day, too, when a feral got loose on some folks tranferring her from a carrier to a trap, for some reason, in their bathroom, and they were afraid of her. Anyhow, I just gave some tips and I guess a friend of theirs later got her in.

    Then I got an e-mail from someone in Eugene who wanted me to either take a stray living on their porch or provide me with the name of someone who would.

    All really bizarre calls, like I have a million staff members and unlimited money. It's all magic you know!

    They must not know it's just little old me. One person. Living on nothing.

    If they knew, they might be shocked, or embarrassed, because if I can do it, so can they. It's much easier on their psychee to believe its a well funded highly staffed big huge honking organization, so they can go back to their couches, their tv's, their cold beers, guilt free.

    ReplyDelete
  3. your company? Let's see - we'll call it I AM ONE PERSON ON SOCIAL SECURITY DISABILITY. Put it on letter heads, magnets, coffee cups....

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so damn trendy I can't stand it. I'm thinking ad campaign. I am an army of one. Wait, been used. Or just "ONE" featuring a person, smiling but not too widely holding up her one finger, the middle one, Army of One, will be across the top. Wait, might prove offensive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How about

    Able
    Social
    Security-er
    Helping
    Others
    Lacking
    Ethics
    Slave

    ;~p
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it Judith. The A hole thing. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm getting more requests this morning, for help. There is genuine outrage expressed when I say "no" or suggest they help their relatives out. It's unbelievable what people want me to do, for free. Travel about the state, like that costs nothing, to get cats fixed in far away parts of the state, where I have no vet connections....it's all magic.

    I wish I could do it, in reality, but my body says "no" and my mind says "You're done for if you do more" and my pocketbook screams "how will we even pay the electric bill this month". Otherwise, secretly, I do wish I could help everybody, but I can't.

    ReplyDelete
  8. how does that song go - by the barenaked ladies? "If I had a million dollars....."
    you need to get a t shirt printed with the Asshole acronym on it....

    ReplyDelete
  9. What in it all defines to the masses that a volunteers efforts deem sufficient reward for their sacrifice? DEEP BREATH I don't know if I make sense but the whole situation doesn't.
    Jody-I'm sooooo glad you are taking leave. I REALLY believe your path is ascending in a direction that will bring change. STARTING WITH YOU!

    Pardon me, it's late...
    Judith

    tired lol-veri word: hokedi

    I AM a Hokie! (VT that is!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Got a new voice mail message you can leave on your phone: "The secretary is out to lunch right now with the boss - they are having a torrid affair and would prefer not to be bothered the rest of the day."
    leave em wondering.....

    ReplyDelete

Round Up

Today is cat round up for tomorrow's five spots.  Two more came up from the vet student in Harrisburg late this morning.  Over 60 fixed ...