Friday, August 07, 2009

Coil Failure

At least part of what went wrong with the car last night: one of four engine coils failed. This happens instantly and can cause the catastrophic failures my car experienced. There may be other problems. The computer system error says "analog failure". There are a few other parts needing replaced to get the engine running enough to see what the computer system says. Mr. Mechanic is concerned the problem also may be a short somewhere and those can take forever and ever to find. But first step is to get the parts including the coil, and they're expensive and can't be had until next week.

Well that's the car update. I never knew such parts existed. Engine coils, four of them. At least one of mine failed. And they're expensive to replace.

Ok, they're called coil packs and there's one per cylinder or plug. So one has failed and this would not affect anything other than ignition, so the real problem is going to be something else. Shit. I mean shoot.

But wait, some mechanics on a Scion forum said it's going to be the coil, because if a coil pack fails it runs on only three cylinders and a four cylinder car will act exactly as I described when my Scion failed, with vibrations like that. So those Scion car pimper mechanics on the forum are reassuring me that if one of those coil packs failed, simply replacing it should solve all my issues. I told them, "Thank you boys. I do feel much better now." And I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Round Up

Today is cat round up for tomorrow's five spots.  Two more came up from the vet student in Harrisburg late this morning.  Over 60 fixed ...