Saturday, June 20, 2009

The Long and Short of Yesterday

The facts of yesterday are coming into focus. The long and short of it is: a great deal was accomplished. Cats who would never have been fixed or helped, got fixed and helped. People got helped with their cat issues. I got caught in the middle somehow, and ended up paying for 8 cats I never saved up to pay to have fixed because it was a last minute thing, out there, in the jungle world of the sad cats.

I did plan and save for the other cats I paid for. .

Sure I wish some of those folks would have paid at least a small portion of the cost. Some couldn't. Some wouldn't. I run into this every single day here in Linn County.

The 8 grange area cats and kittens were something I should not have had to pay for, but nobody else would, and those kittens were going to die if not helped. Somebody had to step forward for them. Nobody would, so I did. That's the long and short of that.

I overdid it there, and hurt my knee again. I missed a camping trip which makes me sad. I hope not to repeat some of the mistakes I made, like not sealing in a definitive time for that Lebanon cat to be picked up. That woman finally came and got her, about 6:30 p.m. Friday night.

She said I should have just put her outside but that's not something I do, put a cat, recovering from two different surgeries, eye removal and spay, outside, with a note attached, when I don't even know when someone might come for sure.

I also have little trespassers here, the Mexican kids from down the block. They sneak into my yard. I've confronted them over it, when I catch them. I find their toys sometimes in my yard. Their parents don't speak English or pretend not to, so talking to them is like talking to an inanimate object. In other words, gets me nowhere. But leaving a cat in a trap outside, due to those brat kids trespassing, is not possible.

Sure, it wasn't fair at all that I had to babysit a cat all day and miss my trip. But I have to move forward. I am a lonely person and that camping trip seemed like a light at the end of a long long dark tunnel of lonliness and hard experiences. I have to find a way to ease my disappointment.

My old credit card company sent me a statement. Zero balance. My account is long closed and I had told that company, when they rate jacked me form 11% to 30% I never wanted to hear from them again or get their junk mail.

But such an unethical immoral company couldn't stop themselves from adding insult to injury by sending a zero balance statement. Mad at myself for doing too much for others, seeing that only dishonesty and unethical behavior pays off in this country, I picked up the phone and tried to get through to that disgusting credit card company.

After three tries I made it through their complicated phone tree to a real person. That real person had a foreign accent so heavy I could barely make out what she was saying. When she claimed she was going to access my account, to stop the junk mail and zero balance statements, she really hung up on me.

I then stuffed the prepaid envelope that came with the zero balance statement full of junk, wrote on it with a marker "Show some respect and honesty: Stop sending the honest person you rate jacked this crap." And stuffed it in the outgoing mailbox.

I don't expect anything from anybody. I sacrifice in part because I want to do my fair share in this world. I got a bum deal from the start, with my bad dad, and nobody to stick up for me. Then I got stuck in a brutal mental health system that abused me, and nearly killed me on multiple occasions and again, I had nobody to turn to.

Taxpayers paid for that brutal system I got forced into that took away most of my life and left me with permanent injuries. I have a respect for taxpayers but I also feel taxpayers ought to know what their tax dollars are doing to people and demand accountability. The abuse I went through at the hands of the county and state is unacceptable. Anyone who says it is ok, is an apologetic for abusive practises and pathetic.

I don't get food stamps because I know the state is in a bind, and lots of people need help with food and I respect the people who still have jobs and the money they pay in taxes that goes to food stamps. It does rile me to see people at the Circle K buying pop and all sorts of crap with food stamps. It is a waste and it is disrespectful to those paying the bill. Almost anyone can grow some food for themselves, even if its in pots on a porch or balcony. And they should be doing that. Seeds are six packs for a buck at the dollar store.

So I'm just trying to do my fair share in this world. I can't do much, but I think I do ok, given what I've got.

1 comment:

  1. I can feel your anger clear over to baltimore here....that sucks - the whole system sucks - but don't let it ruin the rest of your life for you, Jody. For all the bad out there, all the abuse, all the lies and manipulations, all the greed, there is still a spark of humanity left in some - the others who do what you do, the person who takes in the barely crawling kitten, the people who reached out for those five kittens at neuterscooter - some times folks just need a little wake up call. I know you get tired of being that wake up call - but you can stop anytime you choose.

    ReplyDelete

Trip to Beach

 My Lebanon friend who gets so carsick, said she was going to the coast yesterday, did I want to go too. Of course I did.  She has to drive ...