Monday, June 15, 2009

Billy and Benny Get a Home

The two lightning storm boys will get a home Thursday. An ad I placed in the Oregonian online edition paid off, in a home together for boys. They'll go right after their surgeries Thursday at the Neuterscooter.

In the meantime, I've gotten lots more calls about mom cats with kittens. I never found the white mother with five kittens over near Salem Road. Someone called from Corvallis, found a tame mother with wildish kittens on Conifer. The mother cat was likely abandoned by a student. It's that time of year in Corvallis, unfortunately. When the students leave, the suffering intensifies for the animals they often leave with the rest of their unwanted belongings.

I haven't heard back from that man. He was going to ask around at his other job, to see if anyone could possibly take them in.

The former meth addict, now clean and doing great, got a message from her daughter, from her ex husband who is still a meth head and not long out of jail, that he had a mom cat with kittens he needed gone and the mom was pregnant again. But the ex thinks he left that message because he wants to get back with her, believes it was a lie to try to lure her into seeing him, because she has a soft heart for strays and unwanteds, and she thinks he'll be back in jail soon and nobody will then have to deal with the lies. So that one was a bust and thank goodness.

There are two kittens I think KATA is going to take in from some folks in Millersburg. They're out of work and out of money and I did get the two females fixed. So I think the kittens, two left, will be taken in by KATA. There are some other Millersburg folks I contacted off a free kitten craigslist ad, advertising kittens and have been for a month. Apparently, they are getting no home offers.

I contacted them awhile back offering help getting the mother fixed, but they said they had an appointment and would do that themselves. Now, a couple weeks or more later, seeing they have had no luck finding homes for the kittens, I offered help getting the kittens fixed at least. No response so far.

Somebody's cat in N. Albany had kittens and the overwhelmed daughter, with kids of her own, has been bottle feeding them. Mom took off, although she's been seen several times. It was her first litter and she just abandoned them.

But the woman is overwhelmed in the work involved, in bottle feeding and they also have diarrhea and make a huge mess every day. I told her I commiserated with her and wish I could help, but I can't take them. I said I could track down that mom cat and get her fixed, because that's what I'm really good at. Then at least, Bad Mom would not be dropping another litter on her door and taking off again.

This is about the time of year I start losing it, not being able to keep up with all the kittens being born and all the kittens needing placed and at least fixed. Wish I could keep up. Keep thinking the next kitten season will be different, less evil, not as many, more people helping.

I'm an eternal optimist I tell you. But that's a secret!

The Lebanon trappers caught one more at the female colony. This one will arrive at my place tomorrow morning and go, to be fixed, to the vet right along with an Albany female and an Albany male who share the same owner.

The Lebanon folks are keeping that sad little starving torti and even are petting her. But primarily, they are feeding her everything she wants to eat for once in her sad unloved pathetic life.

She was born to a mother cat "owned" by some assholes up in Lebanon who barely noticed her mother and kicked the kittens out instantly. She lived under their duplex, had to hide all day until the rowdy unparented teens went to bed and the danger was less. Then she'd try to sneak down the block to the bowl of food on that kind woman's porch, but by then, usually, the coons or the big cats had eaten it all and she'd go hungry again.

She's just a kitten herself, a sad little torti, whose life has suddenly taken a turn towards the light of love.

4 comments:

  1. I am sooo happy for the little torti....for once in her life experiencing love from humans. Is it the kind woman who kept a bowl of food on her porch who is keeping the little torti?
    I wish i could gather up all those poor unwanted cats and kittens and give them a safe, loving full of food happy place to spend the rest of their years.....have you gotten her fixed? Is she staying outside now or inside? I'd like to know that she will never be back at the place where she had no love and no food.
    I wish, too, there was some way you could set up a "talk:" or demonstration or something at the University during the week classes start in the fall about what happens to their cute "kittens" and cats once the semester/academic year/ graduation is here and they take off and leave cat, most likely unfixed, behind. A short video, showing sad cats who don't understand. a shot of a nice, comfy bed vs. a dirty, junk strewn alley - the contrast in their lives when the owners are gone. And the sad fact that there is probably no one available to take over the feline's care once the owner is gone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell me about it. I end up with a few of them. Last year when classes ended and students left for the summer I got two. One is very sad. I used to see him sitting in the window of the house where he lived, then he was left. He lived in my carport now, but sometimes he sits outside my patio window with his little face pressed against it. I wish I could bring him in, but two of my inside cats really hate him. When I had him in the spare bedroom after he had surgery because of the HUGE hematoma on his ear caused my the compacted earmites, my cats kept marking the outside of the door and growling and trying to get in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you see the cats right there, working on campus, Diane. It's so sad. Butterscotch was one left behind there, living behind Fairbanks hall, underneath the porch, all alone. So sad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are a couple of lucky ones on campus. Compassionate people in certain buildings leave a cellar window open enough for them to get in and they have food, water and a place to sleep.
    Not on campus, but a friend found a kitten this morning about 5 or 6 weeks old. Just crawling down the sidewalk. His poor little eyes were crusted shut. He grabbed him, brought him in to show us and then took him to the vet. He had also stopped on the way and bought KMR and fed the little guy. He's going to keep him. There are good people out there.

    ReplyDelete

Round Up

Today is cat round up for tomorrow's five spots.  Two more came up from the vet student in Harrisburg late this morning.  Over 60 fixed ...