Saturday, May 30, 2009

Netted that Big Lynx Point

33 Cat Trailer Brown tab on white male, to be fixed Sunday.
The front leg injured big Siamese I netted this a.m., to be fixed Sunday.
The SS office white female, to be fixed Sunday.

I was over at the trailer park this a.m., looking to catch the two males still there unfixed. But, I saw the injured Lynx Point napping on her back porch. I set up my drop trap.

I have a new toy courtesy of Mason in Florida. It is a remote controlled drop trap stand. The remote receiver also will detach from the drop trap stand, to reattach and hang off any live trap and using the same sender unit, will remotely trigger any live trap, too. Mason is going to market these eventually and wanted me to try them out "in the field" and so I got the unit for free! Yahooo!

But in the end, a medium hair orange tabby showed up, limping due to fight injuries, and began spray marking everything, including my drop trap. For good measure, he squatted and peed on the old woman's patio chair. There are two orange tabby males in the trailer park. Both are owned and both owners are extremely hostile to the idea of spay neuter, despite the behavior of their cats to neighbors properties.

The Orange tabby wanted to get into it with the injured Lynx Point. The Lynx Point wanted to avoid a fight and I watched as he headed up onto the woman's porch. I knew he was going to come over the gate and down the steps. The old womans' son had just arrived. I waved him back, grabbed my net and just as the Siamese made a lunge by me, having come down the stairs of the porch, I netted him.

The son then helped me transfer him into a live trap. I could not have transferred him alone into a live trap. It's hard. I could have done so had I had a carrier with me.

I was going to leave then, but then I saw one of the two males I was after fed by the old woman, the brother of the two tabby on white sisters, now spayed. He is tabby on white long hair, and half tame. I called him close enough to pet him, then the son handed me the net. I scruffed him and brought him to the asphalt and dropped the net over him. From there, I transferred him to a live trap with the help of the old woman's son.

At this point, half the other now fixed and hungry cats were pillaging my car. I'd left my door open.

I decided I would try later for the one remaining male not fixed there, one of four black tux brothers. The other three are fixed.

I have five reservations for tomorrow's FCCO clinic and I now have four cats in hand. The Lynx Point injured male. The long hair tabby on white male. The white deaf blind female. And the ten week old orange and white kitten, one of three abandoned on Frye Road. KATA is going to take in the two orange and white female kittens, so they will get them fixed.

KATA also came forward, happily for me, and paid for the old gal black manx's dental and tooth removal of yesterday. She is on pain meds and antibiotics now and housed in style over at the couple's house, in a rabbit hutch.

The couple's daughter and son in law are moving in. He was laid off, from his HP job, and, without an income now, he has put his house on the market and the couple are moving in with her parents.

I met the daughter. She is very nice, has a horseback riding injury currently, so has time to care for and socialize this old gal as she recuperates. It's really quite a wonderful end to the story. Her mother and the neighbor across the road, for whom I once trapped over 40 cats, that came with the property when they bought it, unbeknownst to them, are volunteering at the FCCO clinic tomorrow. The former owner's daughter allegedly snuck back onto the property and dumped several unfixed Siamese, before the current owners moved in. They bred and what resulted was a huge feral Siamese colony. They're all fixed now, long fixed in fact.

The couple upon whom the elderly manx female and orange tabby mother with kittens were dumped, have three more out there, recent dumps, to catch. Another manx, this one a long hair torti, and likely the black manx's sister, a black and white, and a male Siamese, who has showed up in the last month and also likely was dumped.

I went back over to the SS building early this morning, searching for any kittens out there. The food I had left was gone, but likely had been eaten by birds. I set a trap and left it for several hours and it was not touched.

The SS woman now tells me the cat must have had a recent litter that are under the building. There is easy access under there, but the building has an alarm system and she can't get ahold of the manager. She must have permission. She is hoping to do so. She has left a message and e-mailed him.

I will find somewhere for this white girl to go. The SS woman adopted her brother, who does just fine at their house. Also, I found out the white cat I was told about at Heatherdale, with the half length tail, was indeed a male and was trapped, neutered and released by a neighbor of the SS building. So he's fixed now too.

Everybody is fixed now, and maybe those kittens also will be saved and maybe they won't. But there's no choice in it. Their mother can't be released or both she and her kittens will die next week.

Sometimes the life of caste out cats and their kittens is very hard, and the end, for some, is extremely cruel. I'll find somewhere for this female. I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dashing

 Got a message this morning.  Was I even really awake yet?   The weather has been really winterish, with winds, pouring rain, cold, even thu...