Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Irony in Kulongoski's Job Program

Click post title to go to story about Gov. Kulongoski's temporary job program that he says will put 12,000 Oregonians to work in low wage temporary jobs at food banks and in the forest.

The irony to me is this: The budget cuts will lay off 6000 low wage jobs, 4000 of them state paid jobs, caregiving for seniors and people with disabilities.

I find it ironic.

I know a lot of these very very low income caregivers. I run into them helping cats. They live on the brink because the jobs pay almost nothing anyhow. One of them lived at the dilapidated duplexes, where she also fed strays I got fixed and relocated. She has a disabled husband and her work as a caregiver to a disabled woman was the sole source of income for the couple. She works caring for a severely disabled bedridden woman. When she loses that job as a result of these cuts, not only will they likely end up homeless, this older couple, but the woman she cared for will likely end up in a nursing home. It's sad, all around.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FCCO Trip on Half Decent Day

 Yesterday, early morning, I headed to FCCO with ten cats from the Scravel colony.   I don't get any records with the FCCO.  They are se...