Sunday, March 22, 2009

Tragedy

One of the four cats I vaccinated last Friday, as a favor, to friends of friends, died today. They just called and told me. Even though they say they don't blame me, or the vaccine, I know they do. When someone you love dies suddenly, first inclination is to blame somebody or something.

What they told me tonight, however, and didn't tell me Friday, was that the cat whom they found dead on the stairs tonight, suffered a traumatic event of some sort two weeks ago.

The wife went out and found him laying on the mat and drops of blood there also, where he had been laying. He was dirty, crying and then slept for 24 hours. The wife felt he must have been attacked by a wild animal and gave him antibiotics for a week figuring something must be wrong and antibiotics probably wouldn't hurt, in case he had an absess.

These are folks who do home doctoring. They are elderly and have usually home doctored most of their animals. They had bought their own vaccines, as they always have, but the husband has always given the vaccines. He's had a stroke and now can't do it. The wife tried, messed up one, then a friend, whom I know, suggested she ask me to do it.

I was late arriving due to the big Albany wreck.

There are few clues I could garner about the cats' event two weeks ago. The cat would have had no infection, because he was acting "down" right after he suffered whatever he did, as evidenced by his back and rear legs being dirty. So the injury was not infection, it was mechanical, like brain trauma or a ruptured vessel or a million other possibilities. So the antibiotics she gave the cat for a week, would have not been useful. The fact the cat slept for 24 hours afterwards is telling.

What would cause a cat to sleep that long, drops of blood, dirty, and showing pain but no injury to his shoulder area?

Head trauma. Internal injuries. Broken blood vessel. The cat died on the stairs, which is also a clue. When a cat climbs, the heart pumps harder and if the cat had a broken blood vessel, he could bleed out completely. I would guess the cat was hit by a car. He had no missing hair, no outward sign of a fight with another animal. That to me is consistent with being rolled by a car. Or trampled by livestock. Or a fall. But the dirty back half is more consistent with being hit by a car and thrown off the road. He could also have been shot and fallen off something when shot.

The cats' death was not related to vaccination. I did lecture them about over vaccinating since it was a five way vaccine they'd bought for each cat and give them every year.

I offered tonight to pay for a necropsy, so they could be assured it was not vaccine caused. And not caused by me. I wonder why they didn't tell me about the traumatic event. But then, they called me last minute, when the wife messed up one vaccine in trying to give it to one of the cats and I don't know which one, maybe the one who died.


Anyhow, they claim they don't blame me, but I think they do. I won't do that kind of favor again. I've never had a cat or heard of a cat dying because of a vaccine unless they have an allergy, then it's immediate. Vaccines depress the immune system and it could have added too much to whatever had happened to him already.

But my guess is that the cat had suffered a traumatic internal injury and tonight, on the stairs, that injury resulted in his death. They put their cats out at night which is the most dangerous time of day for a cat to be outside, in the country.

I know I did nothing to cause the cats' death. Nonetheless, I feel absolutely horrible about it.

8 comments:

  1. I sure know about vaccine problems. I have several who cannot have them because of severe allergic reactions that are immediate. What happened to that cat does sound like it was hit by a car. A vaccine reaction does not happen hours later. The longest amount of time for one of my cats was 15 minutes after. Definitely not your fault.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the cat almost certainly didn't die from the vaccine, but I also think it was maybe a bit too generous for someone as strapped as yourself to pay to find out why it did die. They accepted your services, knowing you weren't a vet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good day to you!
    I subscribe to your channel and check your blog occasionally. You are a fantastic person, an excellent photographer and an all around angel. My youngest daughter (who wants to be a vet) and I would like to start a trap-neuter-release program here in Maryland but don't know where to begin. We have taken in strays before but my husband disapproves so I go and feed them nearby. I found someone who will lend me a safe trap but neither of us know how to use it. I also don't think any of the vets around will do neuter for free in this economy (they even asked for donations when I bought new kittens to them 4 years ago)! Any advice? Thank You! Judith and Hannah

    PS I know you didn't cause the cat's death but I also can tell your heart will still let it bother you nonetheless. You did your best which, as YOU know, is more than most. Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi eewyuck. Review materials at and contact Alley Cat Allies, for information on starting a TNR program. No vet is going to do fixes for free. You will likely have to form a nonprofit then do fund raising and apply for grants. Also, I don't have the website right handy, but Neighborhood Cats, based in New York City, has tons of information and maybe help, in learning how to start a TNR program. Best Friends sanctuary in Utah may also have information to guide you. YOu can always try to get the Neuterscooter vet to get a Maryland license and hold clinics there, which can be helpful. I do not believe she has ever been to Maryland, but she's the only vet I know travelling in America, trying to stem the tide of overpopulation in high volume clinics. www.neuterscooter.com is her website. I will try to get some other information for you on groups in your neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What kind of live trap did you purchase? The FCCO www.feralcats.com, has trapping quidelines on their website. E-mail me: bluestray@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eewyuck: Here are the links, but you'll have to copy and paste. To New York based Neighborhood cats: www.neighborhoodcats.org/

    To Alley Cat Allies, based in WA D.C.:

    http://www.alleycat.org/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?pid=191

    To Best Friends Sanctuary, in Kanub, Utah, primarily a huge sanctuary that people visit from around the world, but they also have a wealth of information on their website and are just really nice people:

    http://www.bestfriends.org/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks!

    I'll keep you posted. don't own the trap-just met the owner of the business the other day (where cats are) and she said she had one.

    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  8. I live in maryland, too - we used to have a neuterscooter run by the spca but they ran out of funds to keep it going.....try Cat Rescue of Maryland (CROM). if you ask Jody here, she can give you my email addy and I'll give you Fran's number from CROM. She can probably give you all the info you need to get started. the spca on falls rd. does lowcost spay/neuter for ferals several times a month - Fran would have that info.

    jeanne

    ReplyDelete

FCCO Trip on Half Decent Day

 Yesterday, early morning, I headed to FCCO with ten cats from the Scravel colony.   I don't get any records with the FCCO.  They are se...