Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Movies

I've been watching some movies lately, to try to keep myself from doing anything that would make my pain predicament worse, with my spine and shoulder muscle issue.

I rented a couple then Jeanne from Baltimore has been sending me some. She sent me Dragonfly, which was ok for a Kevin Costner movie. I liked The Postman, too, another Costner movie she sent me. I'm not a Costner fan. He seems kind of bland or something, in his acting. I liked Field of Dreams. Sort of. I'm not a baseball fan, but I liked that one. I saw Dances with Wolves too, when it came out, but it seemed a little stereotypical Indian, on the other side of stereotypical, if you understand what I mean by that.

I know the settlers did terrible things to the Indians, drove them out of their lands, slaughtered them. In a way, the fact the pioneers and our ancestors did such things doesn't mix well, in my mind, with the current ongoing conflict about whether our country was founded as a Christian nation and whether there should be seperation of church and state.

We weren't founded on any Christian principles I know of, not in the manner we treated blacks and Indians. Jesus wouldn't have done any of that. So I think it's a moot point, to discuss "our Christian nation origins". Or to argue about whether the founding fathers intended religion to be part of our society and government. Well, I've slipped off path. Back to movies.

There are some out I'd like to see. Like Slumdog Millionaire. Like Knowing. I want to see the new Tom Hanks movie, too. I haven't been to a movie theater forever, but, I need to trap over in Corvallis again, near that 9th street theater, and instead of sitting in a cold car, dozing off, limbs going numb, be nice to watch a movie while traps are set. I could justify spending the money that way, too.

I broke the bank here, you see, with Miss Daisy's dental and Electra's broken jaw and three bad teeth. Having a bad shoulder and spine is a good thing, in a way, to coincide with my savings deleted. I don't spend anything trying to take it easy, to heal my torn muscle and inflamed spine. I've got lots of food here. I have got probably five bags of rice alone. That would last me four months without anything else. But I've got oatmeal and vegees, too, and a little bit of fruit. I've got some tortillas, some onions and I live usually, when I'm eating like I want to, not mindlessly, on rice and slightly sauteed vegee burritos. I love them and it's economical for sure. My favorite breakfast is a handful of almonds and an apple. So I'm trying to get back to my normal eating, too.

I go out in the garage twice a day to do some very gentle exercises after moving the car out. It's cold in there but I try to stretch a little first.

Today, I think I'll watch another movie Jeanne sent me: Triangle.

2 comments:

  1. I downloaded Marley and Me- it's a wonderful movie - I preferred the book abd the movie, alas does not stick to the book but it still works. I cried at the end though so it is one tissue box movie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to check that one out.

    ReplyDelete

Dog in the Road

 I went to get groceries yesterday morning fairly early. I was expecting visitors, brief ones, pop in and out, so I wanted to get done with ...