Sunday, March 22, 2009

Jonathon Livingston Seagull Vs. While I Lay Dying

I was out in my garage trying to repaint the old cat run boards and cut them to fit with my old saw. Now why didn't I just move my car out to give myself some room? Why didn't I unpackage the new saw given me for my birthday by Midori and her husband? Why, when once again the shop light shorted out when I merely touched it to a metal trap, did I then resort to trying to cut straight with an old saw by dimming flashlight, with the board propped amidst tons of other garage stuff, with one end on a live trap, instead of moving out the car, getting some light in there, and maybe building a sawhorse out of other old cat run boards?

At some point, with the dull old slipping saw blade grinding to a halt, having achieved its two minute overheat limit, while straining to see, a tiny splinter of wood flicked up and hit my eye.

I thought to myself "Oh shit, I'm going to lose an eye over this." Fortunately, I flicked the splinter out quickly.

My stupidity turned my mind to an old book I read long ago: Jonathon Livingston Seagull.

Jonathon Livingston Seagull was no ordinary Seagull. He wanted to go where no other seagull had gone before. He was going to take what a seagull can do, that is fly, to the limits of possibility.

What does this say about the human race, about me, in my inevitable path to injury or worse? Jonathon's quest was to shake the inevitable fate bequeathed him, as a seagull, the sojourn from birth to death, grinding away in the never ending marching line of earning a seagull living, flying, mating, breeding, finding food and dying.

Stepping out of that marching line bequeathed him as his seagull duty and fate was unheard of. Such dreams fuel the rebel yell of youth.

Don't we yearn, especially when just breaking from our parents, to step out of the line of everybody else marching down that inevitable depressing progression, doing what is expected, living within the boundaries of what we believe is possible of us as humans. And yet, we march the path to destruction as a species, unless the Jonathan Livingstons' dare to be more.

Jonathon's only recourse for salvation was flight. There were limits to his possibilities even if his flight achievements might prove spectacular.

The book was on every seventies trendy list. So I read it then. I still think about it now, although I don't remember many details.

I think of the humans species demands upon the dreamers to stop dreaming. Unless of course the dream is pre-approved, a religious or workaholic or exploitative light bulb that will, in the end, march us to the end at an even faster pace. The boundaries placed upon the acceptability of experiments off the marching path are tight.

"Do not go an inch too far left of the path or an inch too far to the right or be branded, labeled and maybe jailed, as well, certainly drugged for your own good, and ours."

On we march, our fate sealed. Unless there be Jonathon Livingston Seagulls out there, pushing the limits from the updraft off a secret cliff.

While I Lay Dying is a hysterical work of literature. It was loaned to me when I was recovering from back surgery. I could not smother the giggles, that of course would start my freshly opened back to jiggling and hurting, but I didn't care. While I Lay Dying is the antithesis to Jonathon Livingston Seagulls message. It also portrays exactly the same philosophy I exhibited today in my garage.

Go read it. You'll laugh. Then, if you're like me, you'll start seeing yourself behaving the same way sometimes, when I know I want to be catching an updraft off a distant cliff.

6 comments:

  1. I'll get while "I Lay Dying" if the library has it available. JLS, I read, long ago. Speaking of which...

    "The book was on every seventies trendy list. So I read it then."

    Somehow, I thought you were a mere 28. I'm glad I know better now so my jaw won't drop too dramatically if we ever meet. Also, I will feel at least a little better about what you wrote about facing pain from here on out. It bothered me, thinking that a statement like that came from a 28 year old, not that a lot of them don't have good reason to say it, what with rheumatoid arthritis and so forth. 28 also seemed a little young to be so INTO trapping cats, but I just figured you were precocious.

    P.S. I was doubtful that you spelled Jonathan right, so I googled it. You do the same for me sometime, please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am 53, I think. Maybe older. I don't keep track well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I am 53, I think. Maybe older. I don't keep track well."

    Got it. You're 68, but don't want to admit it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, I'm really not 68. Born in 56. 44 and 9 is 53. Guess that makes me 53, if I do the math. I haven't celebrated my birthday in years, having zero family, so I do tend to lose track unless specifically asked. Not sure what made you think I was 28. I was in the extremely destructive mental health system, where I was badly abused, and received the beating that ruptured my neck, causing most of my current spinal cord issues and intermittent pain, for many decades. My real life began only when I left the mental health system, in the year 2001. That is also when I began trapping cats to help them, because I'd lived homeless along the Willamette in Corvallis and my only family, my only support system, the only beings that loved me, were a group of feral river cats. That is why I began returning the favor, and helping them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got the idea you were 28 around your birthday from one of the postings, but I must have misread, dreamed it, or who knows.

    There used to be, maybe still is, a support system down here for survivors of the mental health system. I was never institutionalized, but lost all faith in it nonetheless. (A) It's not terribly confidential. (B) If you have the wrong therapist, you don't have to say much at all for her or him to try to have you committed. I can well understand your preference for cats over counselors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's not a support system. It's called Support Coalition INternational and I was very briefly a member. But it isn't a support system at all. It's a group exposing the horror that is the mental health system and sometimes attempting to change it. I left it disallusioned after a few months.

    ReplyDelete

Trip to Beach

 My Lebanon friend who gets so carsick, said she was going to the coast yesterday, did I want to go too. Of course I did.  She has to drive ...