Monday, March 30, 2009

Albany public employee unions Refuse Pay Increase Freezes

The three unions representing city employees in police, fire and general city employees, refused a wage freeze, although all City of Albany management voluntarily accepted pay increase freezes. Click post title to go to story.

Here is the break down on city employee numbers. The 85 non union employees are the ones who very readily accepted the pay increase freeze.

"Currently, the city has 85 non-union employees, 186 in AFSCME, 77 in the police union and 66 in the fire union."

The unions said there is money there, if the city would not support nonprofits like the Boys and Girls Club. Albany routinely commits money to nonprofits that improve the community. Last year, for instance, Poppa Inc. received a grant to help fix Albany cats, through the city. That grant came from exactly the money the unions want for their employees, for pay raises.

With Poppa funds way down, Poppa applied for a renewal of that grant this year. If the unions have their way, it's doubtful Poppa will see a dime. Of the 939 cats I took in last year to be fixed, 250 of those were paid for by the Albany cat grant. I haven't done the numbers on last years fixes, but I will estimate two thirds of the 939 cats I took in came from Albany. At least two thirds. Last year was the first time Poppa received a grant from Albany.

I find it ironic, terribly ironic, because the police and animal control sometimes refer people to me, to solve Albany cat issues. I'm not paid by the city, and finally, finally, at least last year, with Poppa funds lows, came some huge huge financial relief in this effort.

And now the unions want the money, designated to go to nonprofits that increase livability, for pay increases. Ironic, it certainly is.

If, as a result of the unions stance, Poppa recieves no grant to help with Albany cats, when I get requests to help solve Albany situations, I'll just ask the requestee to please call the police department, or better yet their union, for cat problems, because they are supposed to address this issue under animal control and they are paid to do it.

I do understand people not wanting to lose pay raises. Especially those with families and children. If we don't get that grant, I might lose my job, since the funds are running out. I'm trying to figure out ways to make money for Poppa. I have three possible vending opportunities this summer. Midori is knitting more cat toys for me to sell at those events. I am making refrigerator magnets and greeting cards and someone else who adopted two of the Columbus Green Vanman kittens is sewing some craft items to sell, all to try to make money to fix more cats. I know that won't be enough, but I'm trying to come up with more ideas.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like greed on the part of the unions, doesn't it. Peggy's nursing union is HOPING for a freeze when its talks come up. It's either that or a cutback, yet Albany cops and firemen want raises! Screw everybody else, just so we get ours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it sounds a lot like greed.

    ReplyDelete

Dog in the Road

 I went to get groceries yesterday morning fairly early. I was expecting visitors, brief ones, pop in and out, so I wanted to get done with ...