Thursday, February 19, 2009

Credit Card APR More Than Doubles

I just received notice from my credit card company, Capital One, that my APR will go from 11.32% to nearly 30%. I've never missed a payment or been late on a payment. I keep the card only for emergencies and my balance is usually under $200. Right now, it's a little over $200 because I bought vaccines.

Capital One is giving customers a chance to deny the new APR and cancel their accounts which is what I am going to do. It is nice to be able to purchase vaccines in bulk, cutting their cost to a little under $2 each, instead of paying over $5 each at a feed store. But I am being nickeled and dimed to death! And I don't have much of an income to begin with. So the credit card is next to go.

I'm going kind of backwards but then so are the times. I could keep the card, pay off the balance to zero, and try to save the money up, if I need vaccines, to pay it off the same month if I buy, and that would probably be smarter than cancelling since I save so much buying them in bulk by mail. You can only do that with a credit card, however.

I guess that's what I'll do for now. And shop for a card with a cheaper APR. 30% is excessive, I think, for someone with a low maximum and who keeps it low deliberately and who religiously pays off any balance quickly.

Capital One must be in financial hot shit and one way they intend to get out from under is to charge people excessive fees. The people who would pay these fees are the ones paying their bills anyway, not the ones who aren't. Sucks.

The changes start in May. My balance will be long paid off by then anyhow. And so I have time to decide if I keep the Capital One card or find one cheaper, if there are any such out there currently. They're making $30 on every $100 borrowed for a year. That's a lot. What a racket.

I like to think, in my fantasy world of alternate reality, "Boy, I'll show them. They'll be sorry. I'll cancel my account, take my business elsewhere."

Then I see, in my fantasy world, a silk suited executive sitting in a fancy office with expensive wood furniture and rich decor, getting an emergency call from his secretary, in the outer office.

He says, in response to her buzz, with slight arrogant outrage, "Why are you bothering me, Miss Davenport? I am an important very busy man. Have you scheduled my golf round with Smith and his board boys, for tomorrow, yet? I will assure you that if you have not taken care of that, I will dock your pay $100 for every minute you delay!"

"Mr. Your Lord Master Kingship CEO, I wouldn't bother you, but this is of the highest importance. It's Jody, that Oregon cat trapper, she's cancelled her account!"

Audible gasp from Mr. Kingship, who collapses back into his overstuffed leather chair. "You're kidding, right? When did she do this? Why? Never mind. Cancel all appointments. Cancel the golf game tomorrow. Give me her personal private cell number immediately!"

"Mr. Kingship Lord and Master, the cat trapper has no cell. But, she said, if you want to talk to her, you might be able to reach her at this payphone number, apparently near a colony she's trapping, during these hours. She said if you really must, you can fly down, but not to come without a case of tuna. She won't even see you if you don't come with a case of tuna and maybe some high grade catnip."

"Get me forty cases and gas up the private jet. Have the pilot there in twenty minutes and that better be albacore! Get ahold of that Cuban, you know the guy, always sending me those big expensive cigars. Make sure he can fly in tonight and meet me, give him that payphone location and he better have a truckload of premium catnip or so help me I'll have my yachts sink every cigar boat out of Cuba! Did you get that, Miss Davenport?"



That's what would happen if my fantasy world ruled!

4 comments:

  1. my wamu card -now chase reaise my minimum payment double!! and i'm no where near being able to cancel it yet. and i'm never late and try to pay a little more each month. it's getting so bad.
    we're probably not getting our tax return from cali this year either..and i would like my measley $200. for me that a lot of bills. this country is so fugged up now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finally cut up my credit cards (after going deeply in debt twice) and got an ATM card for my checking account that doubles as a credit card. It is a Mastercard, but it only uses the money in my account. So I can order things, rent cars, etc. but only if I have real money in the bank account to cover it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cancelled. I just can't stomach these banks anymore and their bad behavior getting big billion buck rewards. Hahahaha. Cancelled. I'll take that case of Albacore Mr. Big Fancy Capital One CEO. Get on that, or you have lost me. I'm very important too, in some circles, the stray and feral cat circles, who are the greatest! I can use my check card, if I need to. So there, MR. Big Fat Corporation people getting your big fat bad business bailout billions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thats what i have - a bank mastercard for the money in my checking account. i don't even have checks - just an interest bearing no checks checking account. Actually, its a debit card since it works off the cash i have available in my account. i also have a visa prepaid card - i put money on it to use each month. easier than carrying cash around.

    ReplyDelete

Trip to Beach

 My Lebanon friend who gets so carsick, said she was going to the coast yesterday, did I want to go too. Of course I did.  She has to drive ...