Friday, January 30, 2009

Complications

Complications arose with the fixes done today. They got done late. I was going to return all the cats tonight. Then, it turns out, the big black and white, the huge male, was not neutered after all. He's the one I trapped at the place with the seven others, one who turned out to be already fixed. Those neighbors referred another neighbor to me, with 8 unfixed cats. I went and picked up three this morning.

There were four teens with barely any body weight to them at all, and runny eyes. They swarmed me. I didn't think to leave them food, when I left with three of the cats, an adult calico, a teen calico and a black and white long hair, whom they said was a female too.

None of the cats were in good shape at all. They said there was a calico, once tame, now wild, but they rarely see her, except she saw her yesterday on her walk, almost a mile away with a tabby. Then I found out they don't feed the cats. Only table scraps and those are a rare thing.

I only found this out from the other neighbor this evening, who said he sometimes feels so sorry for the cats he takes food down to them. I asked him because the vet said the little calico teen had shrivelled organs and was nearly starved to death. He didn't think she should be returned and urged me to keep her at least for two weeks, to feed her everything she can eat.

Puts me in a dilemma. This is neglect and none of these cats should be returned. I tried to contact SafeHaven about what to do. I can't take in seven cats. There are four more there, the other three teens and a big Flamepoint who might already be neutered. The neighbor, however, is willing to take him. He knows these folks, said they're overwhelmed.

As for the long hair little black and white, he turned out to be an already neutered male. I asked the neighbor where in the world a young male like that who is already neutered came from. He believes one of the young daughters drug him home from somewhere. But where?

I had told the people I'd be bringing the cats back about 5:00, but, the vet clinic was later than usual doing them, so they were out of it still from anesthesia and I am worn out, so I came home and called them, to say I'd not be bringing them back tonight. But the woman isn't even home, and the son says he doesn't know anything about the cats or even that some were gone getting fixed. He said he'd call his mom, that she is somewhere else, and that she'd be calling me right back. She has not called back. Maybe he could not reach her.

The neighbor says they'll likely very eagerly give some up if they can be adopted out. He says they're overwhelmed and don't have the resources to care for them. So I don't think it will be an issue. They're going to go over, either tonight or tomorrow and talk to them about it, which is nice. I won't have to then. I am not very good about knowing how to say things right.

So today, three went in from that place, two calicos and the black and white young long hair, who turned out to be already neutered. Then the big huge black and white long hair, from the first neighbors, who wasn't neutered after all. Then another female teen trapped by man at the Albany complex. And a female abandoned on Scravel Hill. Six more cats. But one was already fixed.

1 comment:

  1. those poor starving cats!! i;m a little confused - who is not feeding them and did someone else say they would start feeding them? Is it possible to bring food to the cats there, even if you can't take them all in? and how do you take in a few cats for a few weeks, fatten them up, and then return them to the same environment???
    The people you were supposed to return the cats to tonight - are they the ones not feeding the cats?? No wonder sonny boy doesn't know anything about them then....\


    those people should have all their food and water taken away for a few weeks - see how they like it.

    ReplyDelete

FCCO Trip on Half Decent Day

 Yesterday, early morning, I headed to FCCO with ten cats from the Scravel colony.   I don't get any records with the FCCO.  They are se...